White tabbys? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

White tabbys?

Last night, Trace and I were in his room doing some snuggle time, with the only light being a nightlight (he is most active when the rooms is dim, but not dark, so I'm guessing he likes it that way) Anyway, when he would turn JUST right, I could see a faint tabby 'M' on his forehead. Those of you that have seen Trace's picture know that hes very white, almost a smashing white. But it was there....not even really a color difference, more like a water mark on a piece of fine paper.

This morning I carried Mischief (black cat) from window to window, light to light, and all I ever saw on his face was a black face.

So, my possibly stupid question is, does anyone else have a single color cat that has light, almost invisible tabby markings? Does this happen much, or have I got yet another odd ball?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Those are called ghost markings. Most cats that aren't tabbies have them, some just are more noticable than others.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 01:34 PM

My cat chippy is completely Black and when he lays in the sun you can see he has faint brown stripes are these the ghost tabby marking too .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 02:05 PM

My china is a tuxedo and when the light catches her just right sometimes i swear i see tabby stripes running down her sides but i look again and theyre gone
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

I would suspect that just about every moggie-type cat out there has at least some tabby genes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:16 PM
d_b
Cat

What's a moggie-type cat? Is that like the mutt of the cat kingdom?

If you can't spoil a pet, there is no use in having one.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

A moggie is a cat of no particular breed. Well, I don't know, that's not quite right either, because in the US we refer to D S/M/L H as a "breed." It's not a "pure-bred." And I can't say "mixed breed" because that would imply a cross between two pure-bred cats.

The term moggie is, I believe, an English term for that type of cat, but I like it because it implies a cat with a wonderfully diverse genetic heritage, but what that exactly is can be anybody's guess. A unique cat. I suppose you could call it a mutt, though I think of that as a dog term, so I don't use it. And the use of the word "breed" gets confusing, so I think the term "moggie" pretty much says it all.

My comment about tabby genes applies to these cats because there's most likely a tabby somewhere in almost every moggie cat's ancestral line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page