May do some volunteer work - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

May do some volunteer work

Just spotted a Maine Coon baby on Petfinder.com, called the shelter and the kitty has been adopted. Talking to the volunteer and she was telling me that they are so very short staffed it would be nice to have more help. I don't want to committ myself to something that I can't follow thru. Will talk it over with dh. Taking care of my mil is exhausting but it would be more of a kindness to myself by volunteering at the shelter. What do you think pals, give me some things I should think about before I jump in.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 02:06 PM

I am starting this week volunteering again the local human society. I haven't volunteered there in about 2 years. I really missed it and for now am just volunteering my time on Wed. from 4:30 - 6. I figured I would start out slow and see how that goes as far as fitting it into my schedule. I am starting a weekend job next weekend and my even be getting a new full time job. I almost didnt' do it because my work stuff is up in the air but I figured I need to stop makign excuses and just do it. I am sure whatever you can give them for a time committment will be appreciated. I also am volunteering to do the cleaning which they really appreciated since everyone that volunteers just wants to walk the dogs or socialize the cats. Maybe offering to do some of the grunt work would be nice too especially if you can't offer a lot of time.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Maybe some time to pursue your own interests is what you need... It is certainly something I need to think about soon as I don't really do an awful lot outside of my work/nursing course.

There is only so much time you can devote to caring for a relative solely before experiencing burnout... are you maybe able to get respite carers in for a few hours a week so you can volunteer without worrying about your mother in law?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Hey DylansMummy, mil goes to senior day care 2x a week, can't enjoy the time as I work full time, but at least she is socializing (sp). I try not to whine too much about it on the forum, but whew!. My dh is a great guy and does his share. I've been thinking about doing some sort of volunteer work but wasn't sure what would fit into my schedule or to what organization I wanted to donate my time . Still thinking on it, the homefront comes first

Shari
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
It's not whinging at all Feel free! I know how hard it can be to care for relatives, and I have only praise for the people that do it but it is stressful and in my opinion is more trying than caring for someone who isn't a relative.

I have always said I'd care for my my own parents if they became unable to live independantly either that or I'd put them into the best retirement/nursing home going in some hot country
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Premier Cat

Im really pressed for time. My time volunteering two times a week is like therapy to me. I love being around the kitties. I think you should try to do it. You wont regret it. All abandoned animals are saved one at a time. We each make such a tremendous difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page