We have Geckos here in Hawaii too. I know Beaver has eaten some, he eats anything that crawls. He has not gotten sick. I also know growing up with geckos, we used to play with them and I let my kids here play with them, you can also buy geckos as pets at the pet store, they are not venomous or toxic. My mom always said geckos were a sign of good luck and we never killed one... ever. If we found one in the house, we always took them outside and freed them. They have never bitten me, but I have seen them attack each other, either that or they were mating, they grab each other by the tail and hang on. Some lizards are poisonous, I know. My mom always said the ones with blue bellies were, and you have those in LA, I'd be more worried about them (I used to live in AZ and have family in CA and lived in Monterey for a while too.) Also, the toads there are extremely toxic. A pet can just lick one and die. They secreat a toxin from what looks like their ears. It looks like elmer's glue, pick one up and squeeze the ear and it will secreat a little out so you can see, and they rub it on their bodies. You'll know if your cat got ahold of one. They will come home frothing at the mouth. Anyway, hope I helped some.