Kitty door training - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Kitty door training

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm the parent of three cats. Two are nine year old female litter mates named Smokey and Bandit. They are grey and white.

They still live just down the hill at my parent's place. These cats are outside cats and reside in my old garage. The come up to visit occasionaly but are afraid to come inside my house for some reason. They will come in my parent's house when I visit so I don't know what's up with that.

A friend gave me a six month old tabby the other day. I named him Buster. He said he just wandered into his house. I think someone put him out because he is too friendly to be as old as he is.

I've always had cats growing up but this is the first cat I've let live inside my house. I grew up on a farm and cats were always supposed to live in barns to catch mice. So my father says.

And being around a six month old is a bit hard to get used to since he's into everything and pounces on my head at 2 in the morning when I'm trying to sleep. I got him some more toys so I'm hoping that will entertain him.

When I'm at work he doesn't seem to tear up anything but he's making a mess of my bathroom. I put his litter box in the bathtub and he scatters kitty litter all over the place and tracks it across the floor. Plus the smell is getting to me.

So I decided to mount a kitty door in the wall in my den so he could go into the basement. I've placed his food, water and litter box in the basement. If I can get him to do his business there I think Buster and I will get along. I can't deal with this litter box issue.

When I built my garage in the barn, I put a kitty door in the garage door so my other two cats could go inside where it was warm if they wanted to. It was really easy to train those cats. I pushed Smokey through once or twice and Bandit soon figured it out by watching her. But Buster is having a hard time figuring it out.

I pushed him through to show him how to use it but he acts like he's afraid of it.

So right now I've put him in the basement with the hopes that eventually he will figure it out on his own. If he wants into the living quarters bad enough he will have to come through this door. I sort of feel bad leaving him in there but he seems to be having fun chasing bugs.

I went down to my parent's house for a couple of hours and when I got back he's still in the basement so he still hasn't figured it out.

Question is, is there anyway to train him to use this kitty door? For my other two cats it was a no brainer. I keep yelling kitty kitty looking through the door but he just won't come in.

So how do you guys get train your cat to use a kitty door? Or is this just something most cats will figure out on their own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 11:21 PM

Since it's a basement door, you might want to train him by putting him through the door to go UPSTAIRS. Some cats are naturally afraid of stairs so if the door leads to a drop-off of stairs he might get freaked out. To teach him to use the door have him go the way where the ground is flat.
ALso, you might want to leave the big door cracked open for a while so he can get used to going in and out of the basement, then shut it to force him to use the kitty door to go downstairs.

Jennifer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
Since it's a basement door, you might want to train him by putting him through the door to go UPSTAIRS. Some cats are naturally afraid of stairs so if the door leads to a drop-off of stairs he might get freaked out. To teach him to use the door have him go the way where the ground is flat.
ALso, you might want to leave the big door cracked open for a while so he can get used to going in and out of the basement, then shut it to force him to use the kitty door to go downstairs.

Jennifer
Actually the kitty door is in the wall that separates den and basement at ground level in the center of the house. He has no issue going up and down stairs.

I don't know what his problem is.

I hate to keep the main door cracked because I got bugs and other stuff (mice) in the basement that somehow get's into my den regardless. But it's worth a shot for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 12:15 AM

You may want to try and take the flap off the kitty door. Once he adjusts to going in and out through the "hole" replace the flap.

My question though is, what exactly is the litter box issue?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodgrl
You may want to try and take the flap off the kitty door. Once he adjusts to going in and out through the "hole" replace the flap.

My question though is, what exactly is the litter box issue?
I got the flap tied up and he has been going through it so he is getting used to it. Hopefully after a few days he will realize he can push the flap open with his head.

The issue of the litter box, for one thing when I get home from work the entire house stinks. I try to clean it out twice a day and spray it down with Lysol but it still stinks.

Second when he covers up his business, he kicks the kitty litter all over the place. Usually with this hind legs. He kicks it into the air. Then tracks it across the floor. When my other two cats use mom's flower garden for a litter box, they usually use their front feet and carefully cover it up. It's as if he goes out of his way to make a mess.

First time he used the box (in my house), he kicked kitty litter all over the kitchen floor. So I moved it to the bathtub. Thinking having a one foot wall would act as a shield. Well that caught most of it but he still tracks it across the bathroom. Then what he kicks out of the box, he decides to do his buisness in the tub.

I went to Pet Partners yesterday and bought him toys, some kitty doors and a dome shaped liter box. At first he did not want to go inside it, so I left the cover off for a day so he could get used to it. Next day I put the lid on it and he has been using it ever since. He still tracks kitty litter out of it but at least it's not in my bathroom.

Maybe I need to get some better kitty litter. This stuff is about like sand.

Once I feel like he's decided to make this his permantant home, the plan is to unlock the second kitty door in the garage door so he can go outside to do his buisness. Just hope I don't have to train him all over again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 11:30 AM

I took the flap off of mine and never put it back on.
If the litterbox really stinks that badly and you clean it that often, maybe you should take a stool sample to the vet. Litterboxes don't ever smell like roses, but they also shouldn't be that offensive!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:31 AM

I agree. If you are using plain litter, even if you scoop twice a day you need to change the box more frequently. The covered box should reduce odor, but you atill need to make sure you keep the box clean. Some cats will refuse to use a box that isn't clean.

What type of litter are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page