getting the "kitten itch" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

getting the "kitten itch"

So.... we were at the clinic the other night. The clinic is in the downstairs part of the building, and the pet supplies and SOS kittens adoptions are upstairs. We had taken in the boys for their annual vaccinations, and we both resisted going upstairs for a peak at the kittens.

It was this time last year that we brought Laochan home. He was my birthday present from my husband. And it was this time 2 years ago that we brought home Oran... also my birthday present !

My birthday is on Tuesday (the 18th)....

We had to take Laochan back to the clinic the next morning because he wasn't feeling well.... we went up to see the kittens..... .... we both want ANOTHER !!!! They were purring, and pulling at us, and OH SO CUTE. We both decided IF we were to take one home, it would be a little brown tabby short hair with white mittens. I told my husband I was too afraid it would ruin the great dynamics we have now with our 2 boys, and he said NAW - they'd get along after a week or so, just like our boys did.

I have a SNEAKY feeling my husband will be coming home with a kitten on my birthday ! He would have taken that little guy home right then, if I hadn't been a little hesitant.....

Oh... and I WANT him SO bad... but I always worry so much.....what if my boys won't like him ?

It's really the cats' house, we just pay the rent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:27 PM

I could only smile when I read your post. It was almost two years ago that we got Wallace and about a year ago that we got Lewis. We got Marcellus the summer before we got Wallace. Anyway, we had Marcellus and my husband said one was enough. Then he decided two would be ok but was worried they wouldn't get along. They got along great so that was it, no more cats as we didn't want to ruin the dynamics. Then little Lewis needed a home last winter.....but Wallace and Marcellus get along so well, we don't want to ruin it....we took Lewis anyway. They loved Lewis right away, another wrestling buddy. Of course, there are no guarantees, important to follow the introduction procedures, etc. but hey....another cute little kitten, who can resist? A tabby with little white paws.....how adorable. Let us know when the big day arrives.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Oooh, how exciting! You'd better pretend you don't know what might be coming for your birthday! Good luck, and keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Aha- so I had to call the clinic and ask about the kittens...

The 2 kittens we were looking at were both brown tabbies... but I forgot to look and see what the sex was... so I called and asked, and one is male, the other female. I asked if we could reserve the male, and she said with a $50 deposit and after we signed the adoption agreement.

So my husband stopped by after work and did it !

I asked the technician if having 3 cats was too many, and she said, no it was a perfect number! Then she told be she has 3 cats

So, the little guy gets neutered on Wednesday or Thursday, we can bring him home on Friday !

I guess I should mention that this is an SOS kittens program that our vet clinic runs. All kittens/cats are spayed or neutered before they can be taken home, and the cost to fix them, plus ALL initial tests and vaccinations are covered under the $200 adoption fee. I think this little guy is 9 weeks old, so we will have to take him back in the next couple of weeks for his needles, but the cost will already be covered. This is where we got our other 2 cats.

Yippee ! I'm so excited ! I can't wait until Friday!

But.... I'm *VERY* nervous about my other 2 boys liking him .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Congratulations Iused to think 3 was the perfect number to have until I got my 4th
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 11:34 PM

Yippeee for you!!!!! Congratulations and have loads of fun! I have 3 but I've been getting the kitten bug myself, but I have to restrain as my hubby says...."No more cats." He's been so good about letting me have the 3 so I must be satisfied.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Congratulations! Please post pictures. Do you know what you are going to name the kitten yet?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

OK - so as the pick-up day gets closer, I am getting more nervous about our addition. I'm afraid my boys will play too rough with him (he seems so tiny compared to them!).

I'm nervous that 3 cats will be too many in our flat... that it will change the dynamics of our 2 cats now... and mostly that's because so many people have scoffed at me for wanting a third cat... including my best friend, who said that my house will stink. I disagree with that.

But I'm a chronic worrier, and I really take to heart what other people think. I have to remember more often that what really counts is how I feel, and what makes ME happy is important. We can certainly afford to have the third cat, that's not an issue, and that's not what's worrying me. I guess really, change bothers me... any type of change freaks me out. Now that I think on it, I was this upset when we got Laochan (our second cat).

Having my cats relaxes me, and my husband and I get such happiness out of sharing our lives with them. They're such great entertainment and company, and I can't describe that feeling when Oran snuggles in my lap and purrs and stares into my eyes. I know there is LOVE in his eyes, and a very deep soul in there.

So why am I second guessing adding a third ?????

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oransmom
So why am I second guessing adding a third ?????
I know how you feel and I think it is a totally normal reaction. When we got our second (Bella), I was worried it would ruin my special bond with our only cat (Dusty). I worried he would hate me for bringing her in, or prefer her over me, or he would be miserable. None of those things happened. If anything, he is happier now that he has her to play chase and wrestle with!

And don't worry about the big boys roughing up the little kitten! They are extremely tough little critters! In fact, I bet the opposite happens and your two start to "mother" him!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page