Can't find her after surgery - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Can't find her after surgery

She got really traumatized when we made her wear that cone on her head, and she got to wear she wouldn't let any of us near her.

Sunday morning we took it off(wouldn't eat with it on) and at night she got into the basement, snuck down there and we haven't seen her since, and can't find her, she hasn't eaten since.

I'm afraid she's dead.

They can't starve to death in two day's can they?

I'm worried she pulled all of her sutures out, but she also had internal sutures, so she shouldn't have been able to rip herself open??

I've been down there for hours calling her, but I"m afraid to move things around, casue I don't want to find her dead.

I feel horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, that's awful.

No, she wouldn't starve in two days. Hopefully, she's OK. But you've got to find her either way.

Will she come out for treats, or if you open a can of cat food? Catnip? Have you left any food in the basement for her?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes, we put food, down there last night, but it dosen't look like she touched it at all.

It's been a week since her surgery, so I just can't see how she could have hurt herslef enough for her to die. But she was really depressed from that cone and i feel like she might have just given up? I'm not sure if they can do that. I also couldn't give her the last few days worth of pain meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Premier Cat

Cats can be pretty stubborn.

She could well be hiding because she's so upset. I remember other people on the boards thinking that they'd lost their cat, only to find them hiding right in the house.

She's there, and you've got to think positively. She's probably just fine, but scared. Be brave and keep trying. You will find her.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I just read, that after surgery if they have a bad odor it could be an infection?

Her incision smelled pretty bad, but I just assumed it was the dried blood and stuff on it. Now I'm even more worried, and still no sign of her.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Premier Cat

The bad odor could be infection, but it could be other things, too. You won't know for sure until you see her.

I can't tell you're very scared. I don't blame you. But, remember that what we imagine is usually worse than the reality. Believe me, this happens to me all the time -- I worry to death about something, and things end up just fine.

In all likelihood, she is OK. She is inside your house where it's safe. Hang in there.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

She's not dead. Your right I was having an overacticve imagination.

My mom brought home groceries, and tubie likes to lick the plastic bags.

She was starting up the stairs, amking the 'bird chatter noise' of course right at the same time I was rounding the corner to do laundry, so she ran back down somewhere.

Still would like to check her out, but at least she's alive.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, that's great! It's a good sign that she came out for the plastic bags. She will probably get hungry soon, so hopefully you can get a good look at her stitches.

Glad to hear the good news! Let us know how she is when you find out.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM

Maybe quietly go down there with some of the bags she likes and just place them on the floor (along with some nice smelly wet food nearby) and just sit quietly a bit away and wait for her. Don't call her or anything, just let her come on her own. If she does come out, let her eat and play with the bags if she likes and don't necessarily grab her the first time. You can probably see what condition she's in from a bit of a distance.

She'll come around soon.

Poor kitty.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Thank goodness! What a terrible fright you've had. I'm so glad she has come upstairs. Cats do like to hide when they're not feeling up to par, don't they? And I think they must like to scare us! It happens so often. Well, she's up and around, and I know how grateful you are.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page