Need a Cat Owner's Help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Need a Cat Owner's Help

I am desperately seeking advice from a cat owner. (I do not own any cats myself due to my husband's extreme cat allergy.) The problem I am having is with numerous cats in our neighbor hood that are 'outdoor cats.' We constantly sweep cat poo off our porch and chase them off our cars. In addition, some of them hiss and bow up at my 4 year old an my dog when they are in our front yard under my constant supervision. My personal belief is that if you have any type pet, you keep it up, either in the house or in a fenced yard, but I understand that is not an opinion shared by all. I mean no harm to them...I know they are someone's pets who are loved very much, but I am curious as to if anyone has any advice as to how to keep them out of the yard. The owners are no help, they deny ownership or insist that their cats don't go to others' yards. I have tried citrus peels, pepper, and NO-Pet spray to no avail. I have been told to try motion sprinklers, but they are somewhat costly not to mention I don't want myself, my child or dog to become drenched when we go out. Does anyone have any good advice as to how the problem could be remedied? Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 01:09 PM

Re: Need a Cat Owner's Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMom
My personal belief is that if you have any type pet, you keep it up, either in the house or in a fenced yard.
I totally agree with that, I really wouldn't want my cats to walk around in the neighbourhood because of so many things (nuisance to neighbours, poisoning, accidents, getting lost etc).
But I really don't have an answer to you question, you've tried quite a lot already.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 02:14 PM

I know you can get citrus based sprays that are meant to keep cats away. Not sure how well they work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Banned

What are the animal control laws where you live? Would you be permitted to live-trap or catch the cats and turn them in to animal control?

If you want to spend some money and do some gardening, there is a plant that smells bad to cats.
It's called the Scaredy Cat Plant <-(click here)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 PM

I always steer away from Animal Control for fear they might put the cats to sleep.
I understand your situation - it is very unpleasant to have to sweep kitty poop off your porch.
Do the people that feed them own them or they are only providing food for them? They might be stray and the people are just trying to feed them. In this case it would be ideal if the kitties could go to a no-kill shelter or a sanctuary that protects strays or ferals. A lot of times they are needed on farms "hired" as mousers. They get water and food, fixed and live at large keeping the mice under control.
I am disappointed that the people who own/feed them are not at least little bit more co-operative. My firts suggestion would have been to kindly tell them how you cannot cope with this. But apparently that didn't work.
I hope that the Scardy Plant that Tim suggested will work.
Best wishes - I hope it is going to work out
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
What are the animal control laws where you live? Would you be permitted to live-trap or catch the cats and turn them in to animal control?
I'm afraid that's not in the best interest for the cats
The owners are responsible for the cats and they should take care of them.

I've heard about that plant too, maybe it works?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Banned

Well, no, not if the end result is euthanasia. My thought is that having their pet turned in to animal control and having to come pick it up, and perhaps pay a fine, would wake up the owner to their responsibility of keeping their pet under their control. That would be in the best interest of the pets involved.

As an alternative to animal control, IF your local ordinances permit it, catching/trapping a cat while it's on your property and delivering it to a shelter of your choice (a no-kill shelter).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I have not heard of the plant, but I will definately look into it...that sounds like a great idea. I know some of the cats have collars, but some don't. Rumor has it that the two slightly crazy ones were put out by the owner who went out of town and 'hoped they were gone when she got back.' How sad! I know that there is a no-kill cat shelter near by. (I have actually volunteered there as a 'play-pal' for the kitties since my husband is allergic meaning I can never have one.) I know that animal control will only pick up cats here if they do not have visible rabies tags. But I would be more that willing to trap them and take them to a no-kill myself...seems like it would be in their best interest in the long run.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

Just please check with the local authorities and make sure it's legal for you to take action on your own before you do it. To keep yourself covered both with the authorities and with the neighbors.

Good luck.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Premier Cat

I have a family member who lives in Italy, and when I visited I noticed that she and all her neighbors had filled clear plastic water bottles (the single-serving type from the grocery store) and lined them up on their outside walls and fences. She told me that this is how they keep the stray cats out of their yards.

Don't ask me how or why this would work, but these folks all swear it does. I even saw cats approach the bottles and then turn right around!

Of course, this would be a temporary approach. I agree that trapping and bringing these kitties to the shelter is your best bet. So sad that no one wants them.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page