What's my cat trying to tell me? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

What's my cat trying to tell me?

Buster my male tabby (well I've never seen a female tabby) is starting to settle in but I don't know if I made the right choice adopting him. I've had cats all my life but he's the first housecat I've ever had. He's also the first cat I've had that has never had another cat to buddy with. Also other than Morris, most of my cats were female.

I tied the flap on the kitty door between the den and the garage for a few days then one day removed the string and he's finally figured out he can go through it. So the litter box is now in the basement where I don't have to smell it.

The thing is he won't settle down and likes to get into everything. I realize he is just 6 months old. My other two female cats were litter mates and are now nine years old. They tend to require 15 minutes attention each day and they are happy. They will jump up in my lap and lay there when they want to.

Perhaps I should have adopted an older cat that is calmer. I love cats but I like he is just like a little kid. Probably the same reason why I've had difficulty being around undisiplined children.

I don't think he is in pain but he runs around the house crying. He's sounds like he's making a mating call but there are no female cats in the house.

I also feel like he requires more attention than I have time to give him. I work shiftwork and I'm not married and like to work out in my garage on my cars.

I'd like to introduce him to my other two cats and let him live with them in the barn then when he get's a year old maybe he will have calmed down by then. But I don't know how they will accept him. I tend to think they will harrass him.

I have to put him in the den and shut the doors at times and I feel guilty doing this but I really have no choice. These times include, eating, sleeping, typing long emails.

So I really don't know what to do. I've grown attached to him over the past two weeks he has been living here but sort of feel like he would be better off if he had other cats or kids to play with. I really don't want to adopt another cat at this time. I'd prefer that he buddy with my older cats.

My other two cats seem to require less attention than more attention.
So i don't know if I made the right decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Banned

Yeah, sounds like a typical young cat all right. And it's going to be more like two years before he's "grown up." If you do it right, there's no reason why your other cats won't accept him and be friends with him. I think it's a good idea and there's no reason you have to wait. You want to do it right the first time, though, so they don't see him as a threat and so there's no lasting bad feelings. There's lots of good articles on the internet about how to introduce a new cat to resident cats. Here's one of my favorites:

Cat to Cat Introductions

That explains the principles. And there are a lot more if you'd like to research, just use Google to search for "new cat introduction" and "introducing new cat"

Good luck and welcome to the Cat Forum!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page