I ran over a cat... heartbroken - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I ran over a cat... heartbroken

I always feared that this would happen. I've never hit an animal before and when I do it turns out to be a cat.

I was travelling down a country highway road after dark and the vehicle that was a couple hundred feet ahead of me put on its brakes and then pulled off the road. I really didn't think much of it because there are farms in that area. Then I saw what looked like newspaper or a white garbage bag blowing around the road. Once I got close enough I saw that it was a poor animal that had been hit by the vehicle ahead of me and it was rolling and bouncing around on the road. I tried to swerve so it would go under the center of my car but it was moving around so quickly that it flew right into my tire and I heard a loud clunk. I turned around to go back and when I saw that it was a young white cat I just started crying. I felt just awful even though there was nothing that I could have done.

At least the poor thing didn't suffer but I still can't help but feel so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:51 PM

Oh, Richo I am so so sorry that you go through this.
I know exactly how you feel - it is not only that I hate running them over but just to see roadkill it tears my heart to pieces every single day. I always say a prayer in my head for all the little creatures I see, hoping, like you, that at least it was painless.
I know it is a terrible thing that you have ran her over but if you think of it you actually helped her cross over quicker. If a car hadn't passed by right away she would have been in agony for a long time. I have heard horror story with cats crawling in pain until some car put them out of the misery.
I know that she is now on the other side and there is no hard feelings against you - it is not only that there was nothing you could do but you actually cut her pain short.
I know you are hurt and my heart goes with you.
We are part of a greater plan; this kitty's spirit is now in a better place - she has fulfilled her path in this material world.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:15 AM

I am sorry...

My oldest son just told me a similar story..
As he drove past he realized it was a cat squirming on the road.
He actually turned around so that he could hit it again..
I know that sounds terrible but actually it is not.
He wanted to end the animals suffering,
By the time he got turned around that cat was already laying motionless.
He was glad not to have to do what he intended, though, he was prepared to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Once I counted 54 roadkills from College Station to Dallas (a three hour drive). It was the weekend before Spring Break and everybody had been drinking.

Among those, there were four dogs
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:38 PM

Aww, I'm sorry. I agree, though, you helped it more than anything. *Hugs*

I saw a squirrel that had been hit (back part of his body) squirming in the road when I was driving to Cleveland last year with my sister and boyfriend...and I just started crying, that's so hard to see. I get sad when I see roadkill, too...I like to imagine that the animals are now playing out in those woods in spirit form, with no way to get hit again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
I am sorry...

My oldest son just told me a similar story..
As he drove past he realized it was a cat squirming on the road.
He actually turned around so that he could hit it again..
I know that sounds terrible but actually it is not.
He wanted to end the animals suffering,
By the time he got turned around that cat was already laying motionless.
He was glad not to have to do what he intended, though, he was prepared to do so.
I did that with a squirrel once, it sounds bad but it's probably just about the kindest thing you can do at that point.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:04 PM

I hit a rabbit, cat or a puppy once.....it was snowing and starting to get dark. Very hard to tell what type of animal it was...it was running fast.
I felt the direct hit....but when I stopped to go look I could not find anything. I am pretty sure I wsant halucinating...LOL!

Just this last summer at our campground I ran over a baby shrew mouse type creature with our golf cart....I started CRYING!
I had to pick it up and throw it underneath the camper that was there before my 3 yr. old saw it....she was talking with it earlier that day.
The crazy little thing, I think was lost from its mother and was sitting on the corner of the road....it was not afraid of you either...we were squatting down petting it with a leaf....she had a long discussion with it about finding her Mommy and was so sad that it was lost.

So 30 minutes later I was not happy that I hit it...I knew it had been hanging around that side of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page