UPDATE: Too much behind licking - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

UPDATE: Too much behind licking

In the last 2 days Baxter has been licking his behind A LOT.

Anyone experience something similar, and any idea why he could be doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Banned

Maybe his anal glands are plugged up and he's feeling discomfort back there. And licking would be an instinctive "self-help" treatment for that condition. If he's also been draggin his butt on the floor, that's gotta be it. There are other things that can cause anal discomfort or itching, but I can't think of any right now.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 02:41 PM

Eeeeewwwwww......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 05:43 PM

could it be worms? or a parasite?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:15 PM

What could be wrong depends on where he's licking. Have a look and try to see what part he's licking. Is he licking his weewee? If so, he could have a bladder infection, and could be on his way to having a blocked urethra (very dangerous!) If that's the area he's worrying, get him to a vet as soon as possible. It doesn't take long for the developing cyrstals to block the urethra (been there, experienced that!), and I'm told that can result in death if not treated!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I think you're right about the bladder infection. I just found him in a crouched position over a pile of clothes like when he urinates but he wasn't urinating, and has never gone anywhere but the litterbox. When I moved him, he started licking for a moment and then went back to that same position over sheet that was crumpled up on the floor.

Now when I scooped the litterboxes he attempted to go but couldn't. I better call the emergency vet and ask them about it.

Update: I just called the emergency vet and I'm bringing him in. I'll keep everybody posted.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Premier Cat

Yea, it sounds like he needs to get to the vet right away. Good luck and let us know how he's doing!

Victoria
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The poor thing has crystals in his urine. The good news is that there is no blockage but it hurts him to urinate. I have to completely change his diet which is going to be interesting because he eats anything that Barnaby leaves behind and I'm gone for many hours at a time.

I have confine him to the basement and keep close tabs on his litterbox use for urination to be sure that he is urinating and blockage doesn't occur. Then I have to schedule an appointment at his regular vet in about 2 weeks to take a urine sample and determine if the crystals have dissolved.

I'll keep everyone posted.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

Thanks for the update. Well done noticing his distress and reacting promptly. Hopefully he'll be all right real soon.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I just tried to feed him the prescribed food and he won't eat it. I don't know if it's THAT food or if he's just not in the mood to eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page