Feeding cats raw food... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
Feeding cats raw food...

Hi all,
There was a post on here today about whether or not people let cats lick their spoons from yogurt or whatever and a couple commented on how they feed their cats raw food.

Im curious, what do you feed them? I dont feed my cat any raw food as I havent thought of it...she only eats her dry food and occasionally a bit of canned stuff. She never begs or seems even the slightest bit interested in what we eat no matter how good (or bad!, lol) it smells.

Thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Many choose to feed their pets a raw diet as they feel it is the optimum way to feed to provide the most natural and healthy diet. I would love to feed raw but my kitties are stubborn little buggers, and I don't have time to properly formulate a raw diet that they would actually eat!

There are many different ways to feed raw ranging from a pre-made ground up complete diet, to whole prey model. But this diet is not something to be attemted without a great deal of research and learning. If done improperly, it could do your cats just as much harm as it has the potential of doing good.

If you're interested, I suggest doing a google search on "BARF" diet (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food).

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

My cats eat meat and bones. Muscle meat, organ meat, some veggies and bone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
thanks for the replies so far....hmm maybe I should have been more specific...

When people feed cats a raw diet....what do they feed them? Im thinking stuff like small chicken wings or something or a little red meat? Ive seen a tv show where some dog show people feed their dogs a raw food diet with raw red meat, eggs, bones...etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, will have to look into the diet more.
Ryan
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 01:32 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
There are many different ways to go about feeding a raw diet. You can buy prepared "complete" ground up diets that are ready to thaw and serve, you can follow a recipie and make it at home (grinding things up together), you can feed "franken-prey" (I love that term! lol) basically mixing different parts of animals to make up a whole animal in one way or another over a short period of time (I would have to do this with my cats, and just don't have the time to balance it!), or feed whole prey model (just hand them a carcass kinda thing). Everyone does it a little differently, and it's about finding out what is right for you, your cats, and what you know will keep them healthy

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:32 AM

Raw feeding my favorite subject. Ive been feeding raw for sometime and have done hours of research. I will gladly share what I've learned and my opinions. There are a few yahoo groups that are dedicated to raw feeding. The one I found most informative is the raw paws group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawpaws/. This group is geared more towards cats than dogs. BARF diet as mentioned in a previuos post was what raw feeding use to be known as but that term is becoming passe'. Most raw enthusists now just refer to raw feeding as "raw feeding" or "raw diet. As far as feeding raw Ive found the best way, for a number of reasons, is to make the food yourself. There are quite a few diets out there and after educating yourself you will be able to determine which one your more comfortable with. The raw paws group mentioned above has many links and information to help you research raw feeding as well as and excellant recipe for making your own food.

A few thoughts from my own experiences. I intitially started out using commercially made raw diets from 3 different manufactures. I was not impressed with any of them. Neither were my cats. In all cases the food had severe freezer burn and I can imagine it wasn't very appetizing for the cats. Nothing was vacuum packed. Basically they were just medallions frozen and thrown into a sealed bag. I quickly came to the conclusion on my own and by talking with others with much more experience then myself that making your own was the way to go. There's an initial expense associated with getting started, purchasing a grinder, one of those food saver vacuum baggers, some big bowls, a blender ( if you dont already have one), poultry shears ( spend the money and get a good pair). Besides the cost of the food, which runs me about $90 a month for 2 cats ( $45/per) there is no other associated expence except labor. It takes me about 2 - 3 hours a month to make the food and then bag it after its frozen. If I can I try and make a months all at once.

If your serious about getting into raw feeding I'll be more than happy to help you in what I know and from my own experiences but also point you to the right places for answers to your questions. HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page