Buster's update - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Buster's update

I was feeling a bit down the other day about my new cat Buster. He's a real handful. Like unplugging my computer which caused something to go wrong with my ethernet card. So I had to uninstall the software and reinstall it.

But I'm getting used to him so we are starting to get along better. He was starting to make mating calls. Seems like since he's been able to go outside and climb trees he seems to have calmed down somewhat. He's always home when I get home so I think he has made this his house.

For some reason he loves to chew up anything made of paper. But I've never seen him claw anything. Other than my comforter when I'm under it.

I felt guilty because I wasn't devoting enough attention to him. Not that I don't want to, I'm a bachelor and I work 12 hour shifts so I have no other choice.

Buster is just going to have to get used to the fact that if he's not going to behave when I'm trying to sleep or eat, he's locked out from the upstairs until I've eaten or slept. I've been giving him some canned catfood in the basement when I eat so I don't feel so guilty about hearing him cry.

Although now that I look back he's not any worse than my other two cats when I got them 10 years old. Although they live in the barn and I'd bring them inside the house but when it was time to eat or sleep I'd put them outside. I lived with my parents at the time so mom didn't like cats living inside the house.

Buster finally figured out how to go from the den to the basement through the kitty door. I tied it up and after a few days he now pushes through the rubber flap.

And for the past few days I've done the same with the kitty door going from the garage to the outside. So I'm planning on removing the string in a few days and see if he has figured out that door. Next thing I'm going to do is move the litter box outside and eventually get rid of it.

I think he likes the basement the best because it's cool. My den is underground so it stays about +/- 10ยบ at whatever it is upstairs. So with the heat on, it's rather hot in the den.

I think he has calmed down since he's been going outside. I know allot of people think cats should never go outside and I agree if they live in a neighborhood but my family lives on a farm so my cats have an ideal place to play.

I just think cats tend to be happier if they have a chance to play outside. I know they can encounter dangers but as long as they have their claws they can defend themselves and make a run for the basement if the get into trouble.

Today my other two cats came up to visit and Buster was outside so I thought it would be a good chance to introduce them. Well Bandit ran back to my parent's house and Smokey got close to the ground and started hissing so I decided not to go any further.

Since I think Buster is going to live here, I should probably get him fixed before he starts looking to mate. Is 7 months old too young? Sort of feel guilty about fixing a male cat because I wouldn't want anyone fixing me! But I think it's the right thing to do. There are too many homeless cats in this world as it is.

Buster tends to fart allot. My other two cats seldom fart so I don't know what's up with that. He's been eating dry kitten food, Wal-Mart brand. My older cats have been eating Special Kitty brand cat food for years and their fur is soft so I think it's good food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:44 PM

Now would definitely be a good time to neuter. They can be neutered a lot younger than 7 months old. And since you're letting him outside you really need to go ahead and neuter him, otherwise he will find a mate (if he hasn't already...)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page