all natural cat litter - safest - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to nocturne123
all natural cat litter - safest

OK... I know this issue has been beaten up, but I desperately need help.

I rushed my dog to vet yesterday thinking he got UTI. No... it turned out that he has fluids in the lungs, and water was coming out of his nose when the vet tried to sedate him. I am still waiting for results of the blood test and urinalysis. Before I get the results, it looks like my dog has drinking problem, health or behavior related.

Speculation 1 - he's been eating cat litter, which led to excessive drinking. I use World's Best Cat Litter + top entry litterbox. He can only get the litter from the tracking, which in my view is very minimal, but he's a small dog.

What are other all-natural litters with less tracking? I am not very convinced by the above speculation, but I want to be on the safe side. He will also be blocked completely from the bathroom so that he can't do his roomba job there.

P.S. Has anyone heard of pet fountain causing aggressive drinking? Vet told me to get rid of it (and it'll be out of dogs' reach for a long time or maybe forever), but Lex had been drinking it for 1.5 years without any problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:18 PM

one of my cats is also eating that litter (he also thought the wheat litter was tastey) we're trying feline pine right now......as far as we can tell he is not eating that. good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:28 AM

I doubt that the fountain is causing him to drink so much water that its causing a medical problem. Typically fluid in the lungs (at least in humans, and I believe the cardiovascular system in animals is similar to ours) is a symptom of Congestive Heart Failure. In other words, the heart isnt pumping sufficiently enough to keep the blood flow moving as efficiently as it should. When that happens, the liquid part of the blood seeps through whatever it can because its building up in the vascular system, and often its the alveoli in the lungs that allow the fluid to seep out of the blood stream. Im not saying thats what happened, but thats perhaps the most frequent cause of fluid in the lungs. As far as getting rid of the fountain, I assume that your vet just wants to minimize how much fluid your dog takes in to avoid exascerbating the problem, so by removing the fountain he may be less tempted to drink. I would maybe just put it away for now, not entirely throw it out already. However, I wouldnt count on removing the fountain to solve the problem. I strongly assume there is an underlying problem causing the fluid in the lungs. If it is something like Congestive heart failure, it often can be treated with medication to improve the contraction strength of the heart, and push the blood through the vascular system more efficiently. Let us know what you find out. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Cool Cat

Re: all natural cat litter - safest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne123
What are other all-natural litters with less tracking?
Feline Pine - compressed pine pellets.
Swheat Scoop is also natural but it tracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page