Does your cat like catnip? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Does your cat like catnip??
Yes, my cat loves catnip 23 44.23%
No, catnip does not affect my cat(s) 8 15.38%
Some of my cat likes it but some don't 21 40.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Does your cat like catnip?

I was just wondering because I thought all cats love catnip but I bought catnip yesterday and my cat just ignored it! She smelled it a little then rolled on it then left.. She didn't pay too much attention to it. My previous cats loved it and ate it and will be all crazy for a couple of minutes. I heard from a friend that for some cats, catnip does not do anything for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 01:11 PM

3 out of 4 of my cats like it but they all act differently. Sully roles in it and gets excited, Tasha eats it and gets that stoned lethargic look and Sara eats it and..well.. acts the same.

From time to time Angel will eat it but it doesn't do anything for her.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 01:34 PM

3 of mine do but the kitten does not. all of my cats have shown no interest in catnip until they were closer to a year old. is your cat a kitten?

one of my cats, when he was a kitten, actually would run away from catnip. he would make this funyn face like "ewwww, that stinks!" and then bolt and hide under the bed. when he got a little older this changed, and now he loves catnip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

My cat is a kitten, she is 6 months old.. I'll have to try again when she is a year old. She did show interest in it but not too much interest.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:36 PM

my two older (4 & 5 month old) kittens don't seem to be affected by catnip much... but my 8week old absolutely loves the stuff!

i'm really not sure why some like it and some don't... before my two girls, i'd never even heard of a cat who doesn't like catnip!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 PM

mine LOVE the stuff, only if it's organic. they will not touch the cheap stuff, what can I say, I've got snobs!!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Cool Cat

I have three cats, only one seems to only just "like" it. The other two don't seem very impressed.

Shari
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Banned

You could try honeysuckle. There's another current thread around here somewhere on that topic.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:39 PM

One of my old cats used to LOVE that stuff! His tongue would come rolling out and he would get a really funny expression on his face. Caleb could take it or leave it and I haven't tried it with Sophie yet!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Cool Cat

4 out of my 6 like it.

It is actually genetic as to if a cat likes it or not. The statistic says that only 40% of cats have the gene that makes them like catnip.
Also males usually like it better than females do.

And kittens don't respond til they become sexually active around 6 months old - apparently it is the same area of the brain that is affected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page