Advice about New Kitten/Older Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Advice about New Kitten/Older Cat

I am hoping for some advice from cat lovers better educated than myself....

I brought two cats home from a refuge, Pomme and Biscuit. They had lived in the same cage & got on reasonably well, with a few spats. Sadly Biscuit died after only 10 days of a viral infection.

So about two weeks later we went back to the refuge and got a kitten, thinking that Pomme woud like a Little Friend. Pumpkin is 5 months old, Pomme is 2 years.

We didn't do our research properly about separating the two of them and introducing them gradually. It was just a case of "Here you are Pomme, meet Pumpkin."

Pomme is now not as affectionate to us as she used to be, and seems to be terrorising Pumpkin. She keeps leaping up at her and chasing her. Pumpkin spends time when we are not with her under the table where Pomme cannot reach. When we are around Pumpkin is all over us, so Pomme gets more jealous.

Pumpkin is put into another room at night as she doesn't yet use her tray correctly. And has the squits, which the vet thinks is worms as she is eating very well.

I am wondering whether it is now too late (5 days in) to go to the separating them and introducing them gradually scene - I guess it might be calmer for Pumpkin, but she is used to the run of the house and to be confined to one room might be too mean now. Are there any kitty lovers who can offer advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 04:18 PM

I am no expert but when I brought my 3 kittens (Smokey, Meeka and Tess) into the house, I already had one cat (Reggie) he is 17 years old this January. He did not take well to them being in the house. I dedicated a room for the kittens, bed, food, water and litter box. I would keep them in there and gradually let them out for Reggie to see them. It has been 3 months now and all 4 of them have the run of the house together.

Reggie still gets upset and Smokey the other male sneeks up and they get into it but they also walk away.

My suggestion would be to keep the kitten isolated in the house somewhere with its own box and food. Let your older one get use to the fact that the other one is in the house. Once it feels like its still boss you may have a better chance with it adjusting.

Good Luck! I still have little wars once in a while but they do not hurt themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page