Indoor cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Indoor cats

I'm wondering how you can get a cat to not go outdoors. All the cats i have had would run for the front or back door. i'm just amaze how they can be indoor cats...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 AM

Personally when my cats started making a dash for the door, I decided that it was time to let them out, although I know I am one of only a few on this forum who believes it is the best way to have a cat. It is all down to personal preference. If you are keeping your cat indoors, firstly make sure that they still have collers, have been spayed etc. just in case they do escape. I think the only way to prevent them from escaping is by being careful, and by making sure other members of your family are careful. I've googled it incase there is a special contraption and the only one I found sounded cruel (an electric gate that shocks your cat ) They will always run for the door because it's more for them to explore and you know what the say about curious cats!! Perhaps someone else will have a better answer for you...sorry I can't help further.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Tom Cat

I've had my cat for 2-3 months and so far she hasn't tried to go for the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I've had my cat for 2-3 months and so far she hasn't tried to go for the door.
My mum's doesn't. Ever. Mine drove me crazy trying to escape! I suppose some are more nosey than others.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Tom Cat

I agree with some are more nosey! hehe.. My previous cat Oreo will try to get in every single door I open to see what's in it!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Mine never try to run out the door. They are terrifed of the outside, and never want to go out. One of them likes too look out of the window, the other doesn't even do that. If I take my cat out on the leash, he is scared and cries like a baby.
They are perfectly happy just watching the outside sitting by the window.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 01:43 PM

i got mine as kittens, and never let them out. my cats are afraid of the big scary outside world... though i imagine that it would be hard to keep a cat indoors that is used to going outside.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 03:41 PM

You know, even though we have a house full of cats, none of them try and get outside.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 06:15 PM

Mine will all just look out the door.....they never make a dash for it.

Three were kittens when we got them and one was an adult. It's funny.....it's the adult who won't even go NEAR the door! I was worried about him since I didn't know if he was an indoor/outdoor cat when I got him.

My kids do not go outside. Everyday on the way to work, I pass all sorts of dead animals on the road. A lot of them cats. I only live 5 miles from work and most of it is a residential area that I'm driving through. I do not get on or anywhere near a freeway.

I could never imagine letting my babies out in that......I couldn't even begin to think what would happen if they were hit by a car or attacked by another animal. We have racoons, ground hogs, and possums (plus dogs) that are all over the area.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 06:51 PM

one of my cats doesn't even go near the door, so he's not a problem. my other cat, has tried to escape (when my parents were watching him) but he won't go near the door when I open it. I've just told him NO! we have a screened in porch and I'll let him out in that, that seems to satisfy his need to go outdoors. (sidenote, this cat was a stray....but has been strictly an indoor cat ever since)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page