Second Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Second Cat

i am thinking about geting a kitten really bad and finally found a kitten I want. I was just wondering if my cat now would get jealous. I've had my cat for about a year and shes a spoiled brat. She is with me all the time even when I'm on the computer she sleeps between my arms on my desk. If I get a kitten will my cat be really jealous and act different. If any of you gguys could help I would appricaite it thanks.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Congrats on the new cat!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

Google "new cat introduction" and "introducing new cat" for new cat introduction procedures. Going too fast at first might create problems which will be extremely difficult to overcome later on. Plan ahead and have everything set up. DO NOT let the resident cat even SEE the new cat the first several days. This means putting the resident cat away in a room with the door closed when you bring the new cat in. Of course, your resident cat will suspect something's going on -- she'll hear and smell the kitten. But as long as she doesn't see him, he won't be a threat.

Good luck. And remember....plan ahead and do it right first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM

I wish I'd found more out before I introduced our new kitten to the resident cat (even though resident cat had only been resident for 3 weeks or so...) We have lots of problems now, with Little Pumpkin being confined for most of the day, & only coming out in the evening - still keeping them separated. And then when they do meet Pomme goes for Pumpkin... I really don't know what to do, but I am persevering (it's only been 10 days, but it seems like forever) I REALLY hope that they will get on eventually, as they are both such gorgeous kitties.

I've tried feeding them together (just about OK) and playing together (lasts about 5 minutes and then Pomme attacks Pumpkin). If Pomme comes into the room with Pumpkin she will sniff her, and it looks hopeful; then Pumpkin will growl, and Pomme goes for her. Pomme tries to get into Pumpkin's room, and "plays" pat-a-paw under the door.
So take note of everything you can find about taking it gradually, and hopefully you'll have a better experience than us!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

I have had the kitten home for three days now and I'm glad to report that things are going better then I thought. I tried to keep them seperate but my older cat(Angel) stayed by the door where the kitten(Grim) was at all day so I figured she wasnt to opposed to the new presence. I cracked the door to see if they were hostile towards eachoter yesterday and they pawed at eachother like they wanted to play.
I finally decided to let grim out to see how they would act. Angel was a bit timid at first but they are have been playing all day today. Angel is a bit of a bully but there is no real aggression. I even caught them sleeping together, grim was laying on angel. I even was able to take pictures.
I just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. Thanks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:28 AM

Glad to hear your kitties are getting on. We had a big fight yesterday, when Pumpkin got out of her room - I knew nothing about it until I came upstairs! I think that Pumpkin is actually coming out as top cat!!

Yesterday evening we had a few more fights when I tried them together. Today I have let Pumpkin out of her room to wander. 15 minutes gone and not a fight yet... I wonder how long it will last!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page