buying house that cat peed in everywhere! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

buying house that cat peed in everywhere!

hi there. hope this is the right place for this.
my fiance and i are buying a house from her uncle.
for the last five years there have been three cats living in the house.
we just now started to help him move and throw away stuff in the house and have realized that the cats have been peeing on everything.
boxes, carpets, furniture,walls. you name it, its been peed on.
i keep seeing adds for spot treatment. we don't need that. we need HOUSE treatment.
we need to get this place de-peed before our two cats move in. i know this could be a disaster with them trying to cover up the other cat pee with their pee!!!!!
help! how do i get pee out of hardwood floors and everywhere else for that matter.
thanks! brandon and jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Senior Cat

Welcome to the forum!

There is a sticky at the top of the behavior forum about cleaning out of fabics like carpet and furniture. If the place is really bad, you may need to pull up the carpet and seal the floor below with KILZ, then replace the padding.

As for walls, you will need to paint them over with Kilz or something like it. That will block the stain and the smell.

Hardwood floors, I'm personally not sure. I would think you would have to have the floors sanded and completely sealed to block out any leftover smell. Hopefully someone else will know on that one.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I had this problem once. I soaked everything with Nature's Miracle enzymatic cat pee remover, and I just let everything air dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Tom Cat

You might want to check under the carpet too, there might be other things there than just cat pee. If the cats peed on the carpet all the time there might be molds or something under the carpet. Maybe even rotting wood. I remember in my bathroom, the water leaked a little bit and when I change from linoleum to tiles, the wood under it was rotting and had to be changed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

thank you so much for the suggestions.
the problem is the carpet is getting thrown out and the entire house is hardwood.
we finnaly got the carpet out of the foyer and it doesn't look to bad underneath.
however the foyer closet smells so bad we just closed it. deal with it later i guess.
and what is KILZ???
and i've seen natures miracle advertised alot. glad to know it works
i bought KIDZ 'n' Pets today. might try it in the closet....
oh and resealing the floors is so expensive we need to try some cheaper stuff first.
if it comes down to it i'll have to put it on a credit card or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page