i want a lap cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

i want a lap cat

I am going to get a cat and I would love to have a lapcat. A needy, gentle affectionate cat and I have decided getting a 1-2 y/o cat is the way to go. How can you tell if the cat is a lapcat if you are getting one from the humane society? they will most likely be starved for affection and happy to get out of the cage. any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 AM

well if you had lived closer to me and wanted another when i had my kitty jem you could have had her, she was such a lap kitty, always wanted affection and attention!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

did you sell her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 AM

nope gave her away, no one wanted to buy any of them and i couldn't hold on to them forever We couldn't afford to take care of all 5 of them!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

oh geez, understandable!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Cat Addict

If you're dead-set on finding a lap cat, I would find one that is in foster care. Then the cat will be in a healthy, comfortable environment and the foster-parent can tell you if it's a lap cat or not.

It's almost impossible to tell at a shelter. But then again, if you go to the shelter you'll probably find THE cat regardless. It may not turn out to be a lap cat but it will show you plenty of affection.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy
oh geez, understandable!!
Yeah it was too hard with being a low income family. Getting them vet checked and feeding them and all that was so unaffordable with 5 cats!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:09 AM

I wanted a lap cat too! I quickly found out that my cat had other plans! When we adopted our devon rex he instantly had our lap cat! He's older (16) and was neglected, I don't know if that has anything to do with his quest for constant affection! Good luck!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 AM

I had to get 3 cats before I found my lap cat. My first two totally had different ideas. I would agree, get a little older cat as you plan. I also agree it's difficult to tell with shelter cats. My first two were shelter cats. My first cat, Marcellus, we got at 8 weeks and I thought I could make a lap cat with enought loving.....Ha! Ha! I knew nothing. He sure taught us. We love him loads though. Wallace, we got at 6 months and he was so cuddly and affectionate so I "thought" I had a lap cat. Well, he was just fooling me so I would take him home. He is still incredibly affectionate and social but totally NOT a lap cat....too busy. Lewis, we got at 4 months, last December, abandoned on the street at 8 weeks along with sister and Mom, went to two homes, then given to us at 4 months....he is totally a lap cat, laid back, sweet as can be....one just can't predict I guess. Although I haven't had experience with cat foster homes, I think that makes total sense to look there as they would know the cats much better. Good luck. I hope you find your lap cat! PS. Lewis is sprawled out on my lap purring away as I type.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Tom Cat

I agree with the foster cared kitties because then their foster mom will be able to tell you his/her personalities because they will know the kitty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page