Keeping cat in back yard - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Keeping cat in back yard

OK, first let me say that I understand many of you think the only option with cats is to keep them inside and I'm fine with your opinion on that. But, my opinion is that my cats want to go outside just like the dog, and I want to allow them to.

That being said, before I put in the doggie door and let them roam free, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the cats in the back yard and not go roaming the whole neighborhood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Cat Addict

10 foot brick walls

Seriously though, I haven't got good advice. The only thing that keeps the dog in the yard is a fence that they can't climb over or squeeze through. The same would go for a cat, since they can climb most fences and squeeze through the small gaps that most fences have, I would guess that if your cat wants to leave the yard, it will.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 AM

if you have a high fence you can always angle the tops in about a foot at the very top only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:42 AM

You could try prikka stips, I have never used these before but I have been told that they are very good.

http://www.livesafe.co.uk/Prikka-Strip_webpage.htm
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:18 AM

I allow my cats outside, but initially I wanted them to stay in our garden, and not roam. I can say from experience that it is virtually impossible...they're very strong-willed creatures and if they want to leave your yard they will! They now go where ever they want to go! The only thing I can think of is to maybe have an outdoors shelter for the to play in so they are outdoors but have boundries. This wasn't an option for me as our garden in tiny and set back from our house.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Those Prikka Strips remind me of being in Amsterdam. They had stuff like that on just about every surface you could sit on but shouldn't. They'd be great to keep the burglars out of the windows if done right, but I like animals more than people, so I don't think I could do that to them.

I guess I'll just have to watch them and make sure they are safe when they are outside. Thanks for the replies.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
I allow my cats outside, but initially I wanted them to stay in our garden, and not roam. I can say from experience that it is virtually impossible...they're very strong-willed creatures and if they want to leave your yard they will! They now go where ever they want to go! The only thing I can think of is to maybe have an outdoors shelter for the to play in so they are outdoors but have boundries. This wasn't an option for me as our garden in tiny and set back from our house.
Our Lexx is very strong willed for the outside world and we tried to stop him, but it did not work and in turn this started having effects on him and us . So rather then having the stress all the time of trying to stop him from going out we just let him do whats he wants. Now he is like a kitty with a fresh fish in front of him. very happy kitty

I agree with spamlet, If the kitty is going to go hunting around etc, you can not really stop them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 09:00 AM

Something like this should work
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 12:45 PM

I have been very lucky. I have 4 who go outside WITH ME only during nice weather. I have totally enclosed yard with chain link fence on 2 sides, a 6' stockade on one side and a 4' wooden on the last side. My biggest one, Mickey, is too heavy to jump over any fence, but the other 3 can, although they seem perfectly content to roam right within the boundaries of my small yard. Whenever they do look like they are going to jump, I say "NO!", and they turn away. One does occasionally jump the fence and wander off but she goes through other back yards and comes back within a few minutes: however, she does it rarely. They only stay out an hour or 2, and like I've said, I am very lucky. OH but do they LOVE it out there. Eating grass, sniffing EVERYTHING, chasing and jumping after butterflies, digging in the garden. It is such a pleasure watching them. I only do it on rare occasions, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page