Litter box & food for kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Litter box & food for kittens

I am working with the stray kitty we have taken in for now. She is oh so young; I would guess 6 weeks, but I am no expert. It's been years since I've had a kitten. Her claws are very thin and her teeth are very, very young. She isn't going into the vet until Friday b/c that's when I could afford it (not expecting new bills!)

She is secluded right now until vaccinations and a checkup. I have taught her to poop in the litter box, but all day long she would lie in the other half of it. So I put the towel we used after her bath (when she started to warm up to us) in there for a bed. All day yesterday she pooped in the box and peed on the towel (and then laid on it, of course). I took the towel away last night. Will she learn to pee in the box on her own? It's not as easy as a stool when you can move it to the box to show her.

Also, at what age is dry kitten food safe (The neighbor provided us with the kitty food until we decide what to do and at least until the vet check)? She has been gobbling it up, but I have noticed a couple of tiny specks of blood left over in her dish. So last night I really soaked the food in water first, but then I found little specs of blood all over the bathroom. (tiny tiny specs) We are pretty sure it's from feeding since I first found the specs in her dish, but I'm not positive as I'm worried she may have some rectum issues also.

Thoughts? Advice? I feel like I don't know anything! (and Stephen is almost 7 years old )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

If soaking food is too ruff for her yet.
Try baby food meat puree. or soft kitten
food from a can mixed with water to soften it.
plus the KMR milk suppliment.
This should give her a healthy diet for now.

I soaked my foster kittens hard food in water
and they threw it up so I think it may have been
to harsh for them at this point of time.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I looked at KMR at the store the other night because I was trying to find a wet kitten food. It says on the can to give KMR up to 35 days of age?? Maybe I'll try it just to supplement her diet. She needs all the nutrients she can get.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Premier Cat

I used the powdered KMR initially . I just this week graduated to the 2nd Step KMR powdered for the kittens. Its recogmended for 4-8 weeks. They were so malnourished and not developed that I felt good keeping them on the first stage for their sensitive tummies until now.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Cool Cat

The tiny specks of blood, I would imagine are from fleas so you can give her a bath with mild kitten shampoo (NOT medicated flea shampoo!!) and use a flea comb to get them out. Take care of this right away!!

As for peeing in the box, my understanding is that eating will stimulate them to pee/poop. Also, the mother will lick the kittens behind to stimulate them to pee. Don't worry, I am not going to tell you to lick her behind BUT (no pun intended ) a vet told me how to get the kitten I had found to pee -- Do the following after you feed.
Take some papertowel and get it wet with hot tap water... wring it out and by the time you get it to the kitten it will be warm. Put the kitten in the box and gently wipe her behind. Within 2 minutes she peed and pooped in the box!
Hope it works for you!

Pictures please!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
When I got my three kittens at EXACTLY five weeks of age, I could not afford KMR. I just gave them canned cat food until they were four months old.

It worked for me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:58 PM

For the fleas, get Ivory dishwashing soap (not for dishwashers, just the one for hand-washing dishes). Start washing around his neck and move down his body and work it so it foams -- this suffocates the fleas and they'll fall off. It'll take a few baths and this won't rid him of fleas -- but it helps SO MUCH on tiny kittens that can't have flea medication yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page