Petco - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Petco

Is it just my area (NY) .... ?
There are two Petcos in my area, both are a mess !

Out dated (one year +) vitamins on the shelves. The stores are
dirty, unorganized. The workers are totally unknowledgable
and uninterested. They are overpriced.
I switched to Petsmart (just opened) and have no intention
of ever returning to Petco.

I'm just wondering .... is this the case all over or am I just
the lucky one .... ?

CatDad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
I don't know about the rest of the Petcos, but the one by me is fine. I haven't seen anything that's expired still on the shelves, and the store is clean. The employees are very nice and seem to know what they are talking about.

----------
Renée
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Cool Cat

Resembles our store, their competitor is so much more cleaner and has all the best brands, except Natural Balance, otherwise I would not frequent them for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

Yours sounds worse than mine, but I don't think much of mine. Of the three chain pet stores here, Petco is the worst, with the highest prices.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Cool Cat

I am sure it is a store by store situation but personally, I don't like Petco - too expensive, their return polices suck and the employees are not helpful. I much prefer PetSmart.

The last time I was in a Petco a few months ago, their saltwater fish section was a MESS! The tanks were overgrown with algae on the glass- you could barely see the fish!

Whenever you see something like that or are unhappy with any petstore, you should call their corporate office and let them know. Most people just let it slide, but it is important to pass this info along; it's the only way they know. And I think it is important to do so cuz those we are the only voice that those animals there have!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 06:23 PM

I'm in New York too.

You're right there aren't that many. The one in Howard Beach which is about 45 minutes to an hour away from me was very helpful. They don't carry flea lamp traps though......you can only get them online around here which is strange.

We definately need GOOD pet stores around here. Petland discounts is horible.....everyone is clueless there,.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
My local Petco is the only major pet store in a 50 mile radius. Every once a while we get a huge group of people coming in from the surrounding towns. Those people are so hungry for pet supplies they always clean out the entire store, so EVERYTHING is always new.

I love my local Petco. I save lots of $$$ because I always buy things with my P.A.L.S. card and I only buy things when they are on sale.

Their fliers are a life-saver....if they don't have such great sales I'll probably end up eating catfood
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Senior Cat

I personally prefer shopping at Petco. Petsmart will randomly stop carrying the things I would buy. The selection is always small and the staff can't be bothered to help you, even when you ask! I actually told an employee about a big puddle of pee on the floor and the guy said "yeah ok, whatever" and walked away! I even had an employee tell me that they didn't (and never did) carry something that was listed on sale in their flyer!

The people at all the Petcos (of which there are many) near me are helpful, knowledgable and the store are consistent and stocked. I would rather pay a little (quite frankly it's not much) more than Petsmart to always know that I can get what I go in there for and the staff treats both me and my pets well.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:00 PM

The Petco by me in California is fair. Its not that dirty, but it doesnt seem as organized as other pet food stores around me. The prices fall right about in the middle....more expensive that Petsmart, but cheaper than the other pet store (Pet Food Express). What I do like about Petco is that they carry a few more premium foods than Petsmart, expecially Natural Balance, including the Venison Formula. Plus Petco is right across the street from me so I can just walk on over and save gas. Petsmart is definitely the least expensive, but their food choices arent that great, they tend to carry alot of the low grocery store type foods at my local store. Petco also tends to run more sales around here than Petsmart does. I guess I dont have a clear cut preference, it depends on what it is that I need. If its food, Petco. If its non food, then one of the other pet stores. I like Pet Food Express, but their prices are insanely high. They do price match, but its easier just to buy it from their cheaper competitor.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Cat Addict

I'm not a big fan of Petco. For a while, the one here was pretty bad, but they've remodeled and the store is much more pleasent to be in. The thing that hasn't changed is the employees. They don't know anything and don't care, and they're rude and not helpful in the least. The prices are too high too. Thankfully I don't usually have a reason for going there. There are several small private pet stores where I can get the things I need.
One thing I do give them credit for is that the animals are usually in pretty good condition. They don't sell bunnies at Easter and they do work with the humane society to find homes for the rabbits that have been abanadoned. (There are a couple there right now that I've got my eye on...)

I do like the petsmart that's in this area, though. They have a bigger store and bigger selection, and the employees have always been helpful. They will also match their online prices (which are a lot cheaper) if you bring in a printout of the item on their webpage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page