Themometer question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Themometer question

Having been to the vet several times in the last week and putting the girls through what they consider to be the worst torture imaginable, the rectal thermometer, I have to wonder... Why haven't they developed electronic ear thermometers for animals yet?

Half the time I doubt that the vet is getting an accurate temp from the girls. Quinn usually needs several people to control her while they try for a reading and I find it hard to believe that her temp isn't elevated just from the stress she feels.

I also have to wonder what the people in the waiting room think is going on behind our door. Perhaps the vet is exorcising a demon from my beautiful Quinnbee ? Even once we get out into the waiting room again she's often sitting in her taxi growling. I keep waiting to see the taxi start shaking and people fleeing the building. I guess I'll know if she's really sick if she's not carrying on so much.

Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 01:24 PM

Some vets do use a ear thermometer on pets....I know one of the vets I went to in the past used one...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Hmmm good to know. I will ask about it the next time I'm at the vet. I know my cats would be most appreciative

Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 04:00 PM

On this year's yearly visit to the vet, I had 4 different reactions from 4 cats. Kip thought he was on vacation and purred so much the vet had to take him into another room to listen to his heart and intestines (LOL). Lily and L'il Girl acted like they were being prodded with electrical wires and Lily actually SCREAMED when she got her shots. Mickey, my big boy and the love of my life, acts as if it's just another day at the office. Rectal thermometer, shots, ears cleaned, teeth looked at, WHATEVER! Kept looking out the big window in the vet's room, more interested in what was going on out there than what was being done to him. So funny
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 05:39 PM

my vet uses an ear thermometer...but then again they charge $65 for just an exam so I guess they can afford to have all the nice gadgets.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Banned

They're available here:

Digital ear thermometer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 05:03 PM

Tim you always have great answers!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

Thanks. Most of what I know I learned here. So, stick around. It's a good place for cat "parents" to hang out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page