Cat(s) vs raccoon - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat(s) vs raccoon

Well, this morning was interesting . Let me set the scene: time...4:30 am, place... backyard in Frederick, MD. My guys came face to face with a raccoon out in the back yard. For about the last 4 months, I have been replacing their early morning snack with early morning "freshies" (opening the sliding glass door and letting them have fresh air). I know, I know..........one bad habbit with another, but hey.........it worked. And since it is getting colder outside, there have been days when the door doesn't get opened, but they still enjoy being out there anyway.

Back on topic. This morning while they were watching leaves fall off the maples in the back yard, they spotted a raccoon out there bumbling around looking for some food. I heard him out there too and walked over to the door fearing it might be a skunk. The raccoon never knew they were there! He came right up to the outside of the screen door, and then both my guys let him have it. Wittle spit at him and both he and Coco hissed and growled! The raccoon ran and hid under a nearby hydrangea bush, and then eventually peeked out enough to give a casual glance back in their direction. He slowly bumbled away after that.

I was amazed at my guys though. They were soooo still. None of the tail flicking like when a bird or squirrel is out there. It was a pretty neat encounter, although scarry.

I was wondering what the outcome might have been if there wasn't a door between them. Would the cat(s) or the raccoon have won?

Wadda ya think? Any thoughts are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 PM

I think "Wow are you lucky that raccoon didn't fight back" With rabies abound across the U.S. these days, it could have been a very bad scene for all of you. I'm glad it turned out okay for you, though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 04:16 PM

I think that the racoon would have won if there wasn't a door inbetween them. Racoons can be VERY nasty, mean critters when they feel threatened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Cat Addict

You're lucky there was a door between them. Raccoons are nasty animals and their sharp claws and teeth can do serious damage to a cat, or even a dog. They're not an animal I would want to mess with.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Racoons have been known to killl cats If the door was not there, it could have been tragic.

(and yes, I added the extra 'l' onto "k-i-l-l", in order to avoid the censor changing it to "love" )
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Premier Cat

A racoon climbed over the kennel fence of my sisters and attacked and killed their dog. They look darling but can be very vicious creatures.

You have some fiesty cats! Mine would of fled in terror
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 04:11 PM

The raccoon would have won hands down if he had felt like a fight. I had the good luck to be part of the freeway system for a family of 5 for years, and got to know them very well. One cat got his sides completely split open and died. People *still* wouldn't keep their cats in.

Cute and very smart, but they are scary critters with vicious claws and possible harbingers of rabies also.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 04:54 PM

I had a raccoon tear right through the screen door on the sliders on my deck, trying to get inside the house. The cats were sitting right there hissing when the coon's claws tore a HUGE hole into the screen . I threw a glass of water on it, and he backed up but didn't leave. I threw a PAN of water out the screen then slammed the inner door. He left. Talk about determined!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:19 PM

I'm with everyone else. Besides the threat of rabies, raccoons are very nasty and the sharp claws and teeth just aide their cause. Another thing about them is that they are extremely smart. Take caution the next couple of days just in case he was just playing nice!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Cool Cat

I honestly had no idea that raccoons were that vicious. My area is very wooded but so far I've not seen a raccoon.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page