Carpet Steamer chemicals - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Carpet Steamer chemicals

I heard that the smell of the chemicals used in the carpet steamers you rent is similar to cat urine. My mother has three cats and a dog and has used these steamers in the past to clean the carpet and has found that the cats will pee on the carpet right after. The whole point of her using the steamer is to get out the cat urine and stains. Does anyone know if this is true? and if so, if there is an alternate product to use in the steamer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Cool Cat

I use my Hoover Steam Cleaner all of the time, like every other week. I use a product called Zep purchased at Home Depot. The girls in work told me about it. I think it works better than anything yet. Ig your Mom trys the ZEP, make sure she buys the low foam Zep. I just reread your post. You can also use the Zep in the cleaners you rent and you don't necessarily need the low foam.

Shari
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 AM
Cool Cat

Not sure of the chemicals but I do know that carpet cleaning will bring up things out of the carpet to the surface and if it isn't cleaned well enough it may be leaving it at the surface and not getting it all the way out.
I know that is why sometimes stains will appear after the carpets have been cleaned - just means they didn't clean it well enough.
Maybe that is what is happening with your mother??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:15 AM
Senior Cat

The thing is, carpet steamers do just that, they steam the carpet. If there is urine in the carpet, it will wet it, and cause the smell to emerge.

Go for a deep cleaner rather than a steamer. Deep cleaners wet the carpet, then suck the water (and dirt) out of the carpet fibers. I usually do 2-3 passes with the deep cleaner and everything smells so nice!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 09:02 AM

I agree with Lenore!

Make sure you clean it well enough.
When I get a cleaner, I don't use the shampoo you buy because of the chemicals. I usually use 1/2C ammonia, 2T dishsoap to 1gal water.

Jennifer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebsilmare
The thing is, carpet steamers do just that, they steam the carpet. Go for a deep cleaner rather than a steamer. Deep cleaners wet the carpet, then suck the water (and dirt) out of the carpet fibers. !
These days I think most of the models that say steam cleaners do suck up the water otherwise there wouldn't much use for it.

Shari
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Senior Cat

Yes they do suck up the water, you are right there. I suppose I should be a but more specific.

The difference lies in what happens between water going in and it being sucked up.
A standard steam machine wets the carpet and the sucks it up.

A deep-cleaner (sometimes called deep cleaning steam machine) has scrubbing brushes (some rotary, some not) that agitate the soiled areas and allow what's in the fibers to be loosened and removed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebsilmare
A deep-cleaner (sometimes called deep cleaning steam machine) has scrubbing brushes (some rotary, some not) that agitate the soiled areas and allow what's in the fibers to be loosened and removed.
Yep that is what I have, best purchase I've ever made, used it yesterday in fact.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page