Cat escape artist...any tips? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Cat escape artist...any tips?

Hi all, seems like a nice friendly crowd here and I was hoping to get some tips. My fiancee has two cats, an almost three year old male, and a 1.5 year old female. She has always lived in an apartment building while she's had them, and while the little girl has never had any interest in what lies behind the front door, the male often tries to, and sometimes does, escape. This has meant the hassle of running up the stairs to catch him. In January, however, we're moving into a house, and I'm worried that the little guy is going to escape. We want to train him to stay away from the door, and I was hoping for some ideas. The classic squirt him with a water bottle doesn't work; the weirdo loves water and just stands there. Any ideas/thoughts? We have contemplated having them become outside cats, but to be honest, he's not the brightest bulb in the box and I'm not sure I trust his survival instincts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

Hi to you, too, and welcome!!

I'll break it to you gently: if a cat really wants to go out, you can't "train him to stay away from the door" so I suggest you just get used to being careful to shoo him away from the door when you're going out, and be prepared to do the same when you're coming in. Eventually, if he never gets out, then maybe he'll give up trying, but I wouldn't count on it.

I suppose you can try some of the usual deterrents to try to keep him away from the door. But they are going to interfere with your use of the door, too.

Meanwhile, you can at least give the cats some window perches so they can look outside and still enjoy the outdoors from the safety of the house.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 08:55 PM

"Sigh.........." I have to agree with timskitties. Having my Wallace, who is always trying and is sometimes successful at escaping, I think I agree that there really is no true solution to a cat who really wants to get out. We've tried everything with Wallace; from water (he too just sits there) to banging pots, to bike horns, and everything inbetween. It doesn't work. So we just all watch carefully, shooing him away when necessary. I agree with the perches by windows. All 3 of my cats entertain themselves for hours watching the great outdoors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 08:59 PM

My cat is like that also. I just have to be cautious when leaving or entering. He used to be really bad about it, then he let up for awhile. Now just recently again he's been back to trying to escape. He did get out once and ran around to the back of the house and just sat on the step. I really don't think he knew what to do once he was finally outside!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Banned

I think it's a good idea to get a cat used to a harness and leash. Then you can take the cat outside under your control and supervision from time to time. But as an additional benefit, you can also learn what the cat wants to do when he gets outside. For example, I did this with Tommy and Rocket and I learned that Rocket just dashes for the lawn and starts eating grass and that Tommy heads for the driveway where he commences to roll around on the concrete. So even if they do get out, I know they're not going to make a mad dash for the horizon, and I know where to look for them.

If a cat gets out, it's best not to chase after them yelling at them to come back. Because that just scares them. You just have to saunter over like nothing's wrong, talking calmly as you would inside, and just pick them up (hopefully if all goes well.) If you know what your cat is going to do after he gets out the door, then you have the confidence to get them back in without much trouble.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Premier Cat

Just incase the great escape is sucessful I would make
sure your kitties have collars with ID and are chipped
and are up on their shots.

My Tess goes thru periods of making mad attempts
of trying to rush out the door day or night.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb&sophie
My cat is like that also. I just have to be cautious when leaving or entering. He used to be really bad about it, then he let up for awhile. Now just recently again he's been back to trying to escape. He did get out once and ran around to the back of the house and just sat on the step. I really don't think he knew what to do once he was finally outside!
Thanks for all the replies, the lack of options was kind of what I was exptecting. I quoted this, because I expect this is exactly what would happen! When he gets out in the apartment building, he just runs all the way up the stairs (seriously annoying) and then just sits there waiting to be picked up. Weirdo. I'm not TOO worried about it, we have a screendoor that should make it a little easier to block him. Not to mention, our house has SOOO much more room than he's used to hopefully he'll lack the desire to escape. Thanks again people!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:24 PM

i found that spraying the area in front of the door with cat repellant spray has worked for us (knock on wood!) good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page