Leash Training - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Leash Training

My cat made the great escape by pushing out a window screen. Thankfully a neighbor informed us only a few mintues later and she was right in front of our apartment, but it scared the crap out of me. Someone joked that I should get her a leash and walk her and then she won't be so keen to escape. So I actually thought it might be a good idea. She is only 6 months old so I thought I'd try to start training her to be on a leash so we could take her outside from time to time. What does everyone think about this? Is this ok? I went and bought a harness and leash today and took her outside. She was really cute and just wanted to explore the grass and eat weeds and roll around on the concrete. Any tips for getting her used to it, but keep her from crying to go outside ALL of the time? Any tips on how to reinforce the window screens so she can't push them out? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 03:07 AM
Premier Cat

Naughty kitty!
First of all has she been spayed? If not, now's the time or she will do ANYTHING to get out.
It depends on your screens as to how to reenforce them. Did she punch the screening out of the frame or push the whole frame out? If it's the whole frame then I'd put more latches on. My cat punched the screening out once (scared me to death since I live four stories up!) so I reenforced it with monofillament wire (fishing wire). I just wove it around the frame and through the screening all along the bottom and half way up the sides. You can't even see it.
As for walkiong kitty on a leash, I do it with mine and they love it. I started by just putting the harness on for short periods of time in the house. Once they were comfortable with that I ventured out into the hallway etc.. I would recommend the T harness type as they can get out of the figure 8 ones. Make sure it's a snug but not too tight fit. If they ever get frieghtened by something you want to be sure they can't get out of it.
Have fun!

Victoria
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Banned

If you can't find a decent harness in the cat section, look in the dog section for a 14-inch "petit" size dog harness. That should fit a cat just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 AM

Honestly, leash training her will make her WANT to go out more -- Tink drives me crazy meowing at the door to go out.

You can buy a harness and leash at pet supply stores -- we buy ours at Pet Supplies Plus, I like the selection. And then just put it on her and plop her outside...she'll learn to walk on her own, use lots of encouragement and she'll get the hang of it. I have 4 that go on leashes now -- well, 2 that really walk on them, 2 that just tolerate them.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
Honestly, leash training her will make her WANT to go out more
Yes, quite true. If the object is to reduce your cat's desire to get out, then your cat must never BE out, intentionally or otherwise.

But a harness and leash is a great way to find out WHAT your cat will most likely DO once outside. Does she just sit there looking at ants or does she make a mad dash for the street? It's useful knowing.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Tom Cat

I want to train my cat to walk with a leash on but my friend keep on telling me that leashes are not for cats. Then I saw a video of a cat freaking out because it was on a leash and was so scared the cat panicked and clawed the person who was holding it.

My cat does not have the urge to go outside yet but she does look when the door is open. She has never tried to open the door, just wants to look. I'm thinking now of not training her because she would want to go out.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:40 PM

We've had a very positive experience for several years now walking our cats on leashes.
I've written several previous responses, so I'll just link to one: Cat leashes That reply has several other links too.

I have pics of my kitties' outside with their leashes on the 3rd page: Superkitties pics
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:13 AM
Tom Cat

Superkitties, those pics are soo cute! Don't they meow a lot because they want to go out?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 AM

Mozart will meow sometimes, but he has an almost silent one, so I think it's just adorable. He stops when I tell him 'not now'. If I'm at the front door, Ginza will ask sometimes, or get up on his hind legs and wrap his front ones around my waist, or if I bend down, wrap his paws around my neck asking to be taken outside.

After some experimenting, what works for our household is if the outings are at random times on random days. Then they think it's a treat, and they don't expect it, so they're not demanding it. I'm also extremely consistent about the procedures, which is why the kitties expect me to lift them up and carry them out, and never think about dashing out the door.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Tom Cat

That's cool! I'm gonna get a harness and leash!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page