Stray Cat Problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Stray Cat Problem

Hi all...new here and hoping for some advice. Let me explain the situation.

I already have two indoor cats of my own, both female and 4 years old. There has been the sweetest stray cat hanging around outside me and my neighbor’s houses for the past 6 months. We all love him but no one claims him as theirs. Recently this poor cat has been mauled by another outdoor cat that will not leave him alone. I took him to the vet yesterday and got him up to date on all his shots and he checked out fine other than his physical injuries. Right now I have him in a nice cleaned out laundry room so he is alone while he recovers.

Someone must have owned him at one point. He has been neutered and behaves wonderfully indoors, using the litter and taking his meds like a trooper. The problem is .... I can't let him go outside because this other cat is still hanging around out there somewhere and will attack him again. I want to keep him indoors but he seems so miserable. I feel like either way is a hard choice. If I let him out he will get attacked again and if I keep him inside he will be miserable. Whenever I let him out into the house he just sits at the front door and begs to go out.

What say all of you? What should I do? Thanks in advance for any advice~

Nerina

Nerina~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Banned

If he's a fairly young cat, I think he will get used to being inside. If you integrate him into your cat family and he's the only indoor/outdoor cat, you take some small risk of him bringing cat disease into the house, in addition to suffering injury from cat fights. I think if you choose to be this cat's caretaker (or rather, he chooses you ) you'd all be better off if he stays indoors.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

The vet said he appears to be around 4-6 years old....probably closer to 6. What do I do though when he is begging to go out and will not move from the door? I don't want him to resent me even though I think he already has begun to with all the med's I have to keep making him take.

Of all my neighbors he only sleeps outside my house and whenever I come home he jumps into the car to be in my lap. He is one of the sweetest cats I have ever known.

I really do want to give him a good life and if I keep in indoors I need advice on how to make it easier for him. I can't really let him be around my cats yet. Since he was torn up so badly I have to get him rechecked in a few months to make sure he didn’t contract anything even though his tests yesterday were negative.

My neighbors vet told him that if you try and make an outdoor cat and indoor cat it will run away the first opportunity it gets and not come back...is this true?

Nerina~

Nerina~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned

Once a cat has been outside, it will try to get out again. I don't think he'll run away, since apparently he's chosen your place to hang out.

When he's begging to go out, distract him with something else like playtime or snuggles & scratchies.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Once a cat has been outside, it will try to get out again. I don't think he'll run away, since apparently he's chosen your place to hang out.

When he's begging to go out, distract him with something else like playtime or snuggles & scratchies.
I totally agree -- or get him some treats and reward him for coming to you when being called (when he's at the door and you want to get him away).
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerina
My neighbors vet told him that if you try and make an outdoor cat and indoor cat it will run away the first opportunity it gets and not come back...is this true?
This is not true, at least for most of the cats I've known.

My two cats, as well as Aki and Hiro were all outdoor cats at one time and they're now strictly indoors only.
Trixie, for the first several years of her life, was an indoor/outdoor cat. For her safety, I stopped allowing her to roam. At first she would always sit at the door and beg to go out, but she eventually stopped. If she was let outside again, though, she would start sitting at the door and begging again. She still loves to sit out on the patio or go out on a leash, but she seems to be happy to live her life indoors.
Sadie was also an outdoor cat before she lived with me. When I converted her into an indoor cat is was pretty easy. She cried at the door for a couple days but then it stopped. Those first couple of days, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to turn her into and indoor cat because she was so restless, but now she is perfectly content indoors and actually afraid to go outside.

I think consistancy is a key. Don't give in and let him out when he begs. Give him lots of toys and things to hold his interest inside. I agree keeping him inside is for the benefit of his safety, as well as the safety of your other cats.
He sounds like such a sweetie too!
Good luck and keep us posted!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you all for your input. I am so stressed out over this....He is so miserable. I don't know if he is just sick or upset. He won't eat his food now and just lays there. I have taken him out on the leash just to give him fresh air but he hates the leash and just lies on the ground. About 1/2 hour ago he threw up on the kitchen floor. There was a hairball in it but I don't know if he is feeling bad or just had to get that up.

I've tried giving him food or toys to distract him and he won't have any of it. He just lies in his room or when he is let out sits at the door. I am so used to his happy presence and his whole personality has changed since I brought him home from the vet.

I am just having a really hard time with this...sorry for ranting...

Nerina~

Nerina~
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Premier Cat

He might be feeling out of sorts from the shots and vet visit. Plus new surrounds are stressful to a cat. He may not be eating because of that. He will figure out it is happy and safe to be indoors. give it time. I vote keep him in.

My Mz Tess was found at 4 months and has been an indoor cat ever since. I take her out on the leash. She is a door bolter and crys to go outside but she has a happy cuddled secure life inside with me. I know what is best for her. I feel no guilt!

Bless you for helping him
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

You all are awesome....Thanks for the encouragement.

Last night he started throwing up even more so I called the vet's and they said he may be having a reaction to his antibiotics and that we should switch them out. I took his food away for the night to give his tummy a rest and this morning I have fed him twice and so far so good. He seems more peppy today and even cuddled me on my bed!!! yay~!

Here is a pic of the cute guy:

Close up:

I dont' know why he loves the washing machine. I made him up a bed and he prefers to be up there....silly cat.

Again I appreciate all the advice and the support. I am not giving up on this little guy.

Nerina~

Nerina~
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:14 PM

Aww, he's a cutie, he'd fit in with my black and white bunch.

Minnie enjoys sitting on top of the dishwasher when it's running, I think it's the vibration. He might also just like being higher up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page