Bit the Vet! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Bit the Vet!

Has anyone ever had this happen? Squeakers became the antichrist at her last vet visit for her checkup and shots. She's fiesty, but I've never seen her quite like that, even after her first encounter with a dog. The vet assured as that it happens from time to time after she came back from getting a bandaid and scolding her assistant for not doing such a good job holding Squeakers down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Cool Cat

I was helping hold Brandy as the Vet gave her a shot and she bite me.lol
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 11:59 AM

I had a pure Siamese a long time ago. A gorgeous blue point that loved everyone and whom everyone loved. He had the sweetest, nicest, funniest personality and gave me years of pleasure. He also had a chart at the vet's with a great, big neon orange sticker that read:

CAUTION!!!

I could NOT believe the transformation that came over him each and every time he went to the vet. You could almost watch the change. He would growl, hiss, bat and bite. Then, I would get him in the car and he would purr, brrrt at me and generally act like it was someone else in that office. So funny. (not to the vet, though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 12:21 PM

Korbel will bite the vet if she is given even a little room!
I warned the vet the first time I brought Korbel in. I said "just to warn you, she's bitten vets in the past" My vet replied "Yeah, she's a calico"
My vet is actually VERY good at working with Korbel. She works around the hissing. When Korbel hisses, she gets a good look at the teeth. She also has a big warning label on her chart, but in her case it's because Korbel gets cage aggression. If Korbel needs to stay at the vets for any reason she can't be put in the cattery with the rest of the cats, she just gets way too upset. She gets put in an unused room with a litterbox and her carrier, that way the staff can handle her. If she's in the cattery the staff can't handle her at all.

Jennifer
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Banned

An occupational hazard for vets and vet techs.

What's interesting to me is how my cats can be so well-behaved at one vet's office and be just bouncing off the walls at another vet's office. At one vet, Rocket actually climbed up my arm on to my shoulder to get away from the vet...something he absolutely won't let me do at home.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Tinkerbell used to be fine at the vets. She went in for her first ultrasound on her heart (she has a murmur and they were checking to see if it was more) and they were telling me what a sweetheart she was...and I was like, "What?!" She gets angry when you mess with her, I didn't understand it. Then I had to take her back two weeks later for a follow-up and the vet called me and said she now understood why I was so surprised...and asked if she could sedate her to do the ultrasound! Now everytime we go to the vet they're terrified of her, I have no idea what she did to them...lol.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Cat Addict

My old boy bit the vet once, after he'd been overnight at the ER, hooked up to an IV. The next morning, he was feeling better and let the vet know what he thought of it all. The next time we went down to that facility (he was in a few times, as our local vet didn't have what we needed), I saw a sticker on his chart that read:

WILL BITE

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

Ha, ha , one time Baby escaped from the vet and my sister had to track her down. We didn't think to tell the vet that she is an escape artist . Another time she got stuck between an x-ray machine and wouldn't come out, silly kitty! We finally ended up getting her out .
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 05:51 PM

I think it is normal for a cat to defend itself. Surpingsly, my cat is calm at the vet as she is a very mild natured cat. I can DEFINATLEY see my kitten biting then vet one day though!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM

Knock on wood, none of my cats have ever minded being taken to the vets. Probably because they're so used to being picked on at home by my husband. If they need nails clipped, boogers dug out or ears cleaned my husband is all over them cleaning them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page