Cat Vs. Window Screen - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat Vs. Window Screen

Ok, I have been posting recently about my new adopted stray. He is used to living outdoors but has been very well behaved indoors....but I have a slight problem. I sometimes open my windows (which are screened) for my kitties to sit in and enjoy the smells and sights of the outdoors...well new kitty enjoys it for a moment then tries to climb the screen for an escape route outside. I can't leave him in a room near an opened window or he does this. I keep a water bottle handy for when he starts and give him a little squirt to let him know its not okay to do that.

So do you think I should keep up with the water bottle and training him not to destroy my screens or should I not open the windows for him yet? He still pines everyday to go outside but it has only been a week since his move indoors and I want to do this right.

Thanks all for any suggestions...

Nerina~

Nerina~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Cat

check with a hardware store they sell screens that are supposed to be cat proof.

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:12 PM

I'd say stick with the water. Let him sit in the window to get some fresh air. After a while maybe the scent of the great outdoors will be enough for him. Just give him a squirt when he starts scratching. Or look into the cat proof screen nklincoln mentioned.
Good luck =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Banned

If a cat's nails are well-clipped, he can't hook the screen to climb it or rip it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nklincoln
check with a hardware store they sell screens that are supposed to be cat proof.
Yes! My mom bought one for her screen door because our cats and my sister's cats climb when they visit her...and my sister's 9 pound cat Spidermans all over that sucker and NOTHING. It's amazing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks all...he is getting a bit better about it but if I need to I will look into those screens....

Silly cats!

Nerina~

Nerina~
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned

If you don't want to replace the screens in your storm windows with pet screen, then another idea is to make a temporary second screen on a frame that fits in the open window from the inside.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Banned

I was going to suggest replacing the fiberglass screen with aluminum screening. Now I am not sure if that is the same as cat-proof screening or not. However I do know that aluminum screening is very resistant to cats! The downside is that it is more difficult to install than fiberglass screening.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned

I replaced all my window screens with aluminum last spring and now I have only two very small claw punctures - one on the front door screen, and one on the patio door screen. They've been holding up very well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:10 AM

Move to an area where your cat can go outside when he wants - that's what we did and our cats LOVE IT!

I'd never confine a cat or dog 100% to inside - seen how "nuts" other people's pets get when they do that to them. They go "stir crazy" just like people do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page