4th Cat? Should I? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

4th Cat? Should I?

We have 3 cats, all males, neutered who get along great. All are under 3 years old. My husband...this just makes me smile He asked me this morning if I wanted another cat. I had to smile as for the last year he has said, no more cats. Actually, i think he is growing more and more fond of our kitty boys. He takes great delight is making sure there are bird feeders near every window so the cats can watch the birds. He's always planning new feeders, making sure they're full, etc. And he's so patient with the cats. Anyway, I thought my eyes were going to pop open when he asked. Anyway, it's not a for sure thing. It's someone who is getting rid of their 2 year old cat because they are going to have a baby...rather sad they are saying "good-bye" to their cat. I do plan on asking some important questions as I want it to be a good fit. But anyway, for all of you who have more that 3 cats, what do you think? I totally know that each cat is different and there are no guarantees but for those of you with many cats, does it get harder as far as the dynamics between the cats go? Or it it more like hey, anothe buddy to play with? That is our concern. My cats are all pretty easy going with each other and we had no problems with adjustments. I will talk with this person to find out the cats personality. His name is Sven so if we got him we'd have 4 boys. Isn't Sven just the cutest name? So what do you guys think? I'm a little nervous at the thought of adding a fourth yet....my heart is wanting to take Sven into your home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 05:19 PM

I have 4. I did have 5. Last year, I took in a stray and her 3 kittens. Lots of hisses and growls at first, but eventually everyone got along. Except for one. I found homes for the kittens and had to find a home for Mommy, too. Just because of one hold out. The other 3 didn't care that she was here. But, in the past, I have taken in other kitties and they all did get along. There's always the adjustment period, though. Yours are all young enough to adapt. There would be the "king of the hill" kinda thing.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

You'll have to change your username.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:27 PM

We just got our fourth in September. I have found that adding a new one is easier and easier each time, they get used to making that transition.

We said no more at 3...but then we met Trixie and had to take her in (she has three legs and was left behind when her brother was adopted because of this).

I haven't regretted it yet! And there's practically no extra cost...minus yearly vet visits, the food distribution is still about the same.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Well....I am just so happy! We did decide to get Sven. In fact, he'll be coming to join our family in about 2 hours. I'm VERY excited. This HAS to be it though. I told my husband, never to ask me if I want another cat again. It's just too hard to say, no. We decided to take in Sven since my 21 year old son is moving out next month. We've already teased our son quite abit about that. He's got a good sense of humor. After talking with the owner we decided Sven should be a good fit. He's the same age as Lewis at 1 1/2 and Wallace and Marcellus are only 2 1/2. I'm a bit nervous as I want them to get along but I think it will be fine. I'm rather spoiled in that my cats have always gotten along. We'll take it slow though. Yes, timskitties, I will be changing my user name. It will now have to be, ihave4kitties.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 02:55 PM

Congratulations I have 4. I added my 4th in January and like it was mentioned the cost is minimal. My mom thought I was completely crazy. I said when you have 3, what's one more!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Cat Addict

thanks for sharing, I am planning on adding a fourth soon too!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Premier Cat

I love the name Sven. Were expecting pictures right away! Keep us posted and congratualtions on the newest addition!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Well, here's a new update. We changed the name. He totally wasn't responding to Sven so not sure how much his previous owners acually called him. We decided on the name Winston. I think he may have had a little rough time as I was told he was kept in the basement for the past 3 months. The woman who brought him to us said they didn't even seem sad. He's changed homes at least 3 times. Anyway, we are just loving having Winston. He's a cutie. Light blue eyes, creamy white with a buff tabby tail and ears and some tabby markings on his head. There's a hint of very light buff tabby markings on his back too, sort of like he has a jacket. He's doing pretty well considering. Unfortuantly it's nearly impossible to keep newcomers separate in our home. He's all updated on his shots, neutered and is healthy so all is well that way. I just wish it could have been alittle easier for him. He was pretty scared. Considering we haven't had him even two days though he is doing quite well. He's becoming more and more affectionate with us, even rolling around and purring and head butting today. He was pretty scared the first day but then who wouldn't be when you have 3 cats who all want to sniff and play. I am really proud of my other kitty boys. There's been a few minor things and Winston is a master hisser and growler which my other cats don't generally do. In fact, I don't think they knew what to make of this new cat that hisses, growls and doesn't want to play. But today they are actually sniffing nose to nose and seem to be settling together. I think they will all be fine. Winston seems so much more relaxed with the other cats today. The dog is the problem though. He's actually very sweet and just wants to sniff and wag his tail although he learned quite quickly this cat wants nothing to do with him. It's not a huge problem it's just that Winston is pretty scared of him and takes off with a hiss and a growl when the dog is in sight. I was told he was used to dogs but when Winston was brought to us it was mentioned the dog liked to chase him. So, I guess that would be the reason Winston is so scared of our dog Corky. So hopefully with time he'll relax and realize that corky won't hurt him or chase him. Corky is old and leaves the cats alone. So considering we didn't do the introductions right, I'm pretty pleased with how it's going. I think Winston will fast become a part of our family.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:49 PM

Aww, how great! Glad everything is going well...keep us updated.

I'm sure the dog problem will fix itself..he's only been there two days. Great progress already, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page