Adopting a 2nd cat.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Adopting a 2nd cat..

Okay.. i have thought about this for a year or so and i have come to the conclusion that i am going to adopt one I am so excited about it, however i am worried about my cat and how he will respond to a new cat in the house. I know it takes a while and having a gradual introduction is best. But my question is , what gender / age cat should i get that will get along with my current one the best? I know there is no SET age or gender and i won't know until it happens.. i have a 4 year old neutered male who has been around one other cat that used to come sleep on the deck and he would sit and watch him as long as he was out there but if i let him around the other cat he'd stay away or hiss..

I was thinking maybe a baby / young male cat would be a good fit.. any suggestions? Thanks! I can't wait... but first i am going to clean out my extra bedroom and make it the kitty room before i bring it home..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:44 PM

I've found that introducing my cats (all female) to my sister's cat (male) was easier than introducing them to each other each time I adopted. That's just my personal experience, though, someone here may have more advice.

Congrats on deciding to get another one, can't wait to see pics!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Banned

Planning and preparing for the new cat as you're doing is excellent. But I'm going to suggest that instead of deciding ahead of time on a specific age, gender, color, or breed, that instead you just look around at what cats are available and adopt the first one that just calls out to you, "Take me home with you!!"

When I went to the shelter for the first time to look at cats, it took about 10 seconds for me to realize that Mellie wanted me to take her home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Cat

We had molly girl for about five years when Beanie showed up one day and adopted us. She was hungry and tired. I think someone through her out of a car as she is very afraid of them. Thank goodness. Molly and Beans don't really like each other but tolerate. Beans likes it outside and Molly inside so no problems.

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:24 AM

I agree with Tim (ok, cut my tongue out, ). I was so set on getting a girl because I already had a boy and then when I held Oscar for the first time I KNEW he just had to go home with me. I had the same experience when I got Scotty (he headbutted Brandon and I both at the shelter..talk about a schmoozer!).

Just go with your instinct. From what I've read and experienced, nuetered males tend to adapt better to a newcomer anyway (this is still just my opinion).

Good luck!!!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Planning and preparing for the new cat as you're doing is excellent. But I'm going to suggest that instead of deciding ahead of time on a specific age, gender, color, or breed, that instead you just look around at what cats are available and adopt the first one that just calls out to you, "Take me home with you!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
I agree with Tim (ok, cut my tongue out, ). I was so set on getting a girl because I already had a boy and then when I held Oscar for the first time I KNEW he just had to go home with me. I had the same experience when I got Scotty (he headbutted Brandon and I both at the shelter..talk about a schmoozer!).
I'm the third to agree, lol. I had heard getting the opposite gender was the best so we went to the shelter looking for a male. There was a litter in that morning, so that was great...and they were black and white to match Tink. Fate! I kept playing with this one male I really liked, but then the lady said he couldn't be adopted because of an eye issue they were working on. There was this sweet little girl that had fallen asleep on my brother...and now her name is Minnie.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

it is official!! I am adopting a new kitty tomorrow evening... but i am torn between all 30 of them.. lol

there are 2 that i want really bad, and they have a buy 2 for the price of one right now.. but i'm really not sure i want to bring home 2 cats. that would be 3!! which would be okay but i think for now, 2 is my limit. There was one who was just sooo sweet and another who was just as sweet and so adorable. But i was really sad after leaving there thinking about all the precious kitties who need homes

I also learned some information about the rate at which they kill the cats and dogs and i find it so disturbing (they are euthanizing 8 dogs and cats a day).. but i have volunteered to do the photography weekly so we can put these babies on the internet and find them homes asap!! In local papers and for petfinder.com. The ladies that do it now aren't reliable.. and if i can just play with them for however time they have left and show them a bit of love, i will feel better. and hopefully find as many of them homes as i can!

As for now, it's such a hard decision between Priscilla, who is SO adorable and sweet, 2 years old.. and Dottie who is even sweeter and kept reaching her paws trying to get out of the kennel cages to me for attention.. knowing me, i will come home with 2 new kitties tomorrow! Well. .actually dottie isn't spayed yet but we will see, shes TOO sweet to pass up.. both are females. This is so hard and knowing all the other sweet cats sitting there waiting for homes is just depressing to me.. and the dogs as well.

Well hopefully everything will work out between my cat and the new one.. i have already bought some things for it and am cleaning out my extra bedroom to make it the official cat room..
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

Two more aren't going to be that much more than one more.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:18 PM

About a week ago, i also decided to get a 2nd cat.. [like allyally]
I was a bit worried whether my existing kitten will cope with that..
He just turned 3 months old yesterday and a himalayan x persian..

I was thinking that getting another feline friend will be good for him..
As i spend my time in the morning away from home for uni,
another kitten to accompany him to play in the morning sounds like a really good idea to me.. so he wont be so bored at home alone, utnil i get home.

I am planning to get a girl, and she is exotic x persian..

I just fell in love with her straight away when i see the photo..
and she shud be ready to be taken home January 7th..

What do you guys think? should i go and get a 2nd cat too?
will there be any changes to Tiger's [my kitten's name] behaviour when she comes home with us?

Thanks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Well i think it is all in how you introduce them.. what i am going to do is put my new kitty in a safe / playful room so she can get used to being here and maybe after a day or so i'll let them sniff noses between the door .. i know this is going to make my current kitty freak out.. but i'm like you.. i'm only home a full day on sundays and the rest of the week i'm at school or work..

I'm just so torn between which cat i want at the animal shelter.. one is 2 years old and the other is about 8 months.. my cat now is 4 years old.. i guess i'll decide tomorrow.

But if you think you are ready for a 2nd one, i'd say go for it! i've been ready for some time now and i figure what better thing to give a cat a home for Christmas and give our home a new member for Christmas too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page