opportunity to adopt third cat..should I?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

opportunity to adopt third cat..should I??

oh man, I see how easy it is to accumulate cats!!

I have two neutered male tabbys , indoor only, they are one year old. I also have three elderly dogs.

Long story short, a friend of mine adopted a cat about five months ago, and now she doesn't want it. It is a female tabby, an adult cat, maybe three to five years old. (spayed)..it is the SWEETEST cat, a real lap cat..it comes right up to anybody and crawls on their lap and purrs. She is just a doll.

The question: would it be a mistake to "rock the boat"? All the animals in my house get along so well now.

My friend said she would "loan" the cat to us for a few weeks to see if it would work out.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Cat Addict

If you have enough time and money to properly care for the cat then I am for it. The opportunity for a 'trial run' is nice, too.

Being that your cats are rather young, they would probably adjust to a newcomer a lot easier than older cats. (Your biggest issue might be getting the new cat to get along with the current ones.) Most dogs, especially elderly ones, are not phased by new cats at all.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:52 PM

I'm smiling as I read this post as we just made the decision to adopt our 4th cat. My story is similar, other cats, a dog, don't want to rock the boat 'cause everyone gets along. You can read the Should I get a 4th cat post. I just wrote an update on how it's going. You're telling me it's easy to accumulate cats. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I'd have 4 cats. But now I do. I love it though. I think especially since you can have a triall run I would give it a try. Keep us posted. The kitty sounds like a real sweetie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, I brought the third kitty home about an hour ago.

My cats are more curious than anything, they would really like to sniff the cat and check her out. The new cat is hissing and growling at them like crazy. They are now all laying down in the living room about 15 feet from each other, kind of in a stand off. I have the dogs outside..I want to get the cats aquainted first.

The new cat is NOT a happy camper right now.

Any words of wisodom or encouragement would be GREATLY appreciated right now!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

update: the new cat continued hissing and growling all evening long. At night I put her in her own room with food/water/litter. I came in this morning and she had puked all over. She is now hiding under the bed. The cat is obviously a wreck right now.

My resident cats spent most of the night by the door of the room where the new cat stayed, sniffing. They would like to make friend swith her and check her out, but she's not having any of that yet.

I am just leaving her alone for now.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Tom Cat

awww poor kitty. Yea i would keep her in her own room for a while to she gets adjusted to being in a new place. Keep her food/water/litter box in there with her and a bed and some toys.. you could check on her from time to time to comfort her and talk to her. My cats havent met yet, even though the new cat spotted the resident through the door crack. The new cat is having a really easy task at getting used to being here, i think she loves it.

How is your new cat doing this morning?

I have to go to class I am so burnt out, i jsut want to stay home with my new family! Oh well....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I have been home all day cleaning up cat puke and keeping an eye on things. I opened the door to the guest bedroom where the new cat had been..she has been throwing up..but she did venture out..to the closet of the master bedroom!! (i cross-posted this same info on my thread)

In the meantime, I went to Petco and bought a second litterbox (i had a temporary one for her yesterday)..and set it up..now there are two litterboxes between the three cats.

the resident cats are pretty much just going about their business today.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Cool Cat

Congrats on your new little one!!!
It's always fun to be a new mom! hehe
Search here or do a google search for introducing a new cat to an existing cat household. There is a lot of info. Most recommend that you keep the new cat separate for a period of time. The cats will sniff each other under the doors and all and there will probably be hissing. Once this eases, you can move to the next step which is letting them see each other (block a door open) so they can sniff and see each other but not get at each other. During this time it is also helpful to switch the rooms the cats are in; if the new cat is in the bedroom and the others are in the living room, reverse this for a few hours so they can smell each other without actually coming in contact with each other. The next step is to let them out together for supervised visits.

Each step is important in the process of adapting everyone to each other and the whole process can be as short as a few days to as long as a month or more. Each situation is different. Just take it slow and it will work out. If there starts being a lot of hostility, just back off to the last step and try again.

You can never move to slow with new cat introductions but you can move too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyLA
In the meantime, I went to Petco and bought a second litterbox (i had a temporary one for her yesterday)..and set it up..now there are two litterboxes between the three cats.
The recommendation is really 1 box per cat +1, so for 3 cats there should be 4 boxes, but most people I know get by with the same # as there are cats. Lots of scooping, but it's better than cleaning pee from the carpet!! LOL

Looking forward to pics of your new addition!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:02 PM

Just be patient. She is probably nervous and trying to adjust. I'm sure if she was well adjusted in your friends home she will become adjusted in your home also.

As far as litter boxes. I had 2 boxes for 3 cats for 2 years and it worked out fine. I would make sure you scoop alot though. I have 4 cats now and 3 boxes. They rarely even use the third one, but I have it anyway.

Good luck and keep us updated.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

the new cat is wandering around a bit and exploring. She is getting friendlier to the people in the household (there are two of us)..but she is NOT happy witht the other cats still..lots of growling and hissing..and as I mentioned, she hasn't ventured downstairs yet to meet the dogs!!

She seems less stressed out today..I am sure each day will get better and better.

About the litterbox situation...my two resident cats were sharing a jumbo litterbox with no problem at all..so I figured that adding one more litterbox would be enough. All the cats are being very good about using the litterboxes, no accidents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page