Finding a 2nd cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Finding a 2nd cat?

A bit about my current cat(s):

My brother and I lived together for a while, and we both had cats that we got from the same litter. His is Specter(gray DSH) and Midnight (black DLH) is mine.

Then we adopted another kitten, because she was found in a dumpster. Can't leave kittens there. Long story short, my brothers cat didn't like her even after 2 months, and she was getting various small cuts and I got worried and gave her away.

Fast forward a few months, and i'm on my own now, and Midnight is all alone. She's definately a loner kitty, but I still feel she could use some company. That and I want another kitten.

So, where should I look to find one? I really don't want to go to my local animal shelter - bad experiences with them(they're good overall, Just bad personal experience).

I'm guessing pet stores are out of the question, so is my only real option the newspaper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Cat Addict

How about other local rescues? Depending on your area you may have a siamese rescue, or a maine coon rescue, et cetera.

Have a search on petfinder.com. I can understand having problems with the local shelter, but I don't think the newspaper is the right way to go either.

P.S. Pet stores should definitely 100% be out of the question.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:17 PM

I second Petfinder...and if you're in a pet store they always have boards that local people can post offers for cats in need of a home. Maybe look there, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
if you're in a pet store they always have boards that local people can post offers for cats in need of a home. Maybe look there, too.
Yes, I agree with that. When I was in college, the local Wal-Mart had a pet board like this.

When I said no to pet stores I meant no to actually purchasing them from a pet shop. It supports kitten/puppy farms and you almost never get the purebred cat that you were promised.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
if you're in a pet store they always have boards that local people can post offers for cats in need of a home. Maybe look there, too.
Yes, I agree with that. When I was in college, the local Wal-Mart had a pet board like this.

When I said no to pet stores I meant no to actually purchasing them from a pet shop. It supports kitten/puppy farms and you almost never get the purebred cat that you were promised.
Petfinder says the nearest kittens are in Corvallis (I'm in Eugene, Oregon)! That's a bit far away, considering I commute full time via bike.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Cat Addict

Petfinder also has a listing of private classifieds for people looking to rehome their pets here. There may be some cats listed near you.

The newspaper is sometimes a good place to look. I know around here, people sometimes post ads for pets in need of new homes (along with the regular listings of BYBs )

Or you could just ask around, since usually there's someone who knows someone or who has a litter of kittens they're trying to give away.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Petfinder -- or PetSmart (who use local shelters to show their cats and kittens they have for adoption)

Try contacting a shelter that has a kitten you are interested in -- when I was looking for a companion for Milan I found Addie on PetFinder -- but I was concerned about how Milan would take to her new sister. The lady from the shelter brought Addie over to my apartment and spent 90 minutes there with me watching how the two cats interacted (Addie could have cared less about Milan, she was more interested in checking out her potential new home. While Milan growled some at the intruder, and followed her around the apartment to keep and eye on her.) After about 90 minutes with nothing more major than hissing when they got to close to each other we both felt they would be fine over time (Milan was still less than a year old at that point, while Addie was over 2yrs)

It's been 6 months -- and I've spotted them grooming each other once in a while and they seem to get along quite fine now (although they haven't gotten to the curling up with each other phase yet)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I just found out from a friend of mine that a local pet store sells kittens that are from the animal shelter. Does that make it okay to buy one? I even checked the classifieds, and all of the adverts were for dogs and birds, or older kitties (which midnight wouldn't like ).

Oh, and bonus Midnight picture!

And another, but linked for size: http://nimmy.info/images/photo/new.jpg
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:54 PM

Actually around us (and I'm sure a lot of other places) local pet stores go to Petsmart and sell kittens/cats in need of homes. And I know around here the cats in the adoptions centers at Petsmarts are from local shelters. I'm not sure if that's how it is everywhere, though, maybe someone else will know?

We got Trixie from one of the shelters that was at Petsmart on a Saturday.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Cat

Ask your vet. They seem to always know about babies in need of homes.

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page