cat in Hiding, need Help!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

cat in Hiding, need Help!!!

I haven't been around for a while but desperately need help, i' posted back in june/july about one of my neighbours abandoning a kitten in our garden (approx 8 weeks old) i took him in and he soon adjusted to my queen and her kittens and became part of the family,
We were unable to keep him permanantly but managed to rehome him and i said at the time that if things didn't work out then i would take him back, Well this morning i just found out his owners have been evicted from thier property and are currently homeless and i was contacted to see if i would take him back. so now i have him.

My husband went to collect him this afternoon while i was out and as soon as he came back stupidly let him loose with our 4 cats, The foster got totally freaked out and has now taken refuge behind our washing machine.

i cannot get him out, he has now been there for three 1/2 hours and is lying on a concrete floor the temperature is dropping and it is really starting to get cold behind there, i am starting to get worried as i cannot reach him to try to get him out and also he hasn't eaten since this morning,
Does Anybody have any ideas of how i can get him out without distrsseing him too much. I cannot move the washing machine by myself and i am really not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 01:44 PM

I know it sounds mean -- but poke him with a broom?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

Maybe you can try to entice him w/ food or a teaser? My Baby got stuck behind an x-ray machine at the vets and we were trying to get her w/ a stick and if she came close to us we would catch her. The vet tech actually got her because she had small arms and was able to get her that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:22 PM

Can you close off that room?

I would put out some SUPER SMELLY food for him, along with a box and a blanket for him to sleep on, and let him be for abit - I'm sure he is cold, but also, cat's are not stupid as we all know...I'm sure that he'll come out for a bite to eat.

Also, if you can close the others cats from coming in, and you sit there and call to him softly - I find that they will eventually calm down and come out...

Good luck!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Premier Cat

I'm with Hana, just give him something warm, food and water and let him chill for awhile. He'll come out if there isn't any "danger" and it's nice and quiet. Good luck!

Victoria
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Hi there, Thanks for all your advice. I did in fact try everything already stated but the little man just wouldn't budge. I had to wait for my son to get in from work to pull out the washing machine to get him.
but as soon as we moved it he shot out and behind another kitchen unit.

We practically took the kitchen apart to get him but we mananged it finally after 5 1/2 hours.

I managed to pick him up and took him upstairs into one of the bedrooms. The poor little might was shivering so much but i not sure whether it was fear or cold. I held on to him for ten minutes and he calmed right down and started purring.

He is so affectionate and friendly and very small for his age but just adorable. The next step now is to introduce him slowly to our resident cats but for the time being i just want him to get used to our house again and get used to the sudden change.

I was going to rehome him again but The Kids have already earmarked him as an extra christmas present and it depends how he gets along with our other cats and how they take to him and also if and when the time comes i'm not sure i will be able to let him go again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page