Help,my 12 year old cat has diahrrea and stopped eating - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Help,my 12 year old cat has diahrrea and stopped eating

My cat is 12 years old and for about 4 days(or less)she has been having diahrrea and been only drinking small amounts of milk and very little cat food.She became very skinny and for the past day she is no longer eating anything and it seems shes drinking less milk.

Is it possible shes dying? Anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong with her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Tom Cat

These are very obvious signs that you need to see a vetenarian as soon as possible. With the cat's age and symptoms, it could be a life threatening situation... in other words your cat COULD be dying.. however it could also be a medical problem that can be taken care of with a visit to the vet.. Please seek medical attention immediately, especially since it has had the poopies for over a week and lost drastic amounts of weight.

Keep us updated on his condition
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:45 PM

I would definitely stop giving her milk, to start with, and get right in the car to take her to the vet. I know that milk is not good to begin with for kitties.....and I'm an RN, and when we have a HUMAN patient with digestive problems, we recommend NO milk products. Good luck with your little one, and keep us informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyally
These are very obvious signs that you need to see a vetenarian as soon as possible. With the cat's age and symptoms, it could be a life threatening situation... in other words your cat COULD be dying.. however it could also be a medical problem that can be taken care of with a visit to the vet.. Please seek medical attention immediately, especially since it has had the poopies for over a week and lost drastic amounts of weight.

Keep us updated on his condition
I am thinking of bringing her to the vet but I dont think the vet can do anything for her considering that shes an old cat of 12 years.Its possible that she may overcome this probem on her own but im not sure.

My sister had a situation with her old dog and she paid over $1000. in vet bills for surgery,in which her dog died 1 month after surgery.It was actually possible that my sister's dog could of survived without surgery and live another 2 or more years.

If my cat doesn't get better,I will bring her to the vet but im still thinking she may overcome this problem on her own.Very often when animals are put to sleep by the vet due to a sickness of some kind,it was very possible that the pet would of overcome the sickness on their own and continue living.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Tom Cat

yea well i don't think you are well enough educated in animal medicine to say he is going to get better. If it started with litter box problems and then quit eating that is only a sign it is getting worse. I honestly don't think you care enough about this poor sick kitty enough to try to keep the poor thing from suffering. That is just lack of responsibility.. you're cat is obviously in very bad health and is NOT going to just get better, the way you talk, you could care less if it died. I strongly suggest taking your cat to the VET ASAP because it is SUFFERING. And i don't know about you but i don;t want anything or person that i love to suffer.

Sad situation.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:50 PM

Your cat WILL DIE if you don't take her to the vet IMMEDIATELY! A cat of 12 is not that old. You can possibly save her life if you hurry. We all owe it to our animal companions to do this for them, to ease their sufffering, either with a cure or with a peaceful, painless end. Only a vet can do that for her. This is what you need to do if you care at all about her.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyally
yea well i don't think you are well enough educated in animal medicine to say he is going to get better. If it started with litter box problems and then quit eating that is only a sign it is getting worse. I honestly don't think you care enough about this poor sick kitty enough to try to keep the poor thing from suffering. That is just lack of responsibility.. you're cat is obviously in very bad health and is NOT going to just get better, the way you talk, you could care less if it died. I strongly suggest taking your cat to the VET ASAP because it is SUFFERING. And i don't know about you but i don;t want anything or person that i love to suffer.

Sad situation.
Well shes not suffering,and shes still active and drinking milk at this moment and I will be giving her some tuna but dont think she will eat it,but I just have a feeling that if I bring her to the vet,the vet will inform me that it will cost hundreds of dollars just to find out whats wrong with her and I dont want to pay that kind of money for an old cat that may die in 1 year anyways.The average cat lives to 12 to 13 years of age and my cat is 12.

I do love my cat but think its possible she may overcome this problem on her own rather then having the vet PUT HER TO SLEEP. Vets that give a cat a LETHAL injection to KILL HER is SUFFERING in my book.But I will bring my cat to the vet anyways.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM

With all due respect, unless you have some training in veterinary medicine, you don't have the knowledge to know if she's suffering. Cats are very good at hiding their pain or discomfort. That's nature's survivial technique.

Her problem may be something easily remedied with some medication, but only a vet can tell you what's going on, and what her chances are.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Cat Addict

Please do take this cat to the vet immediately, and no more milk. Cats lack the digestive enzymes to break down milk and giving it to her could be making her sicker.
One of my cats is 13, and if she showed any of the same symptoms, she would have been at the vet days ago. 12 is not that old. Many cats live to be 15-20 given the proper care and veterinary attention.

Refusing a cat medical attention just because she's old is, IMO, cruel. Thats like refusing to call an ambulance for your grandma when she falls down the stairs because, well, she probably won't be around much longer anyway.

You've come here asking for advice, so I'm sure you do care about this cat. Whenever a cat stops eating, it calls for a vet visit. Combine that with diarrhea and its an emergency. This is not going to clear up on its own and if you don't do something, your cat will probably die. She is suffering, even if you may not realize it.

If you don't feel the need to spend the money saving your cat, at least bring her to the vet and surrender her into their care so they may do whats right for her and find her a loving caring home.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Premier Cat

12 years old is not very old for a cat. She should certainly go to the vet immediately. If she has diarrhea and is not eating she IS suffering. Cats don't stop eating unless they are in a great deal of discomfort and if you've ever had diarrhea imagine how you'd feel after 4 days of it! She's probably dehydrated by now which can be life threatening.
Please take her to the vet right away.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page