New cat + resident cat.. help asap - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

New cat + resident cat.. help asap

okay i just brought my new cat home, have him locked in a room but my resident cat KNOWS there is another cat in there

what do i do??? i dont want to cause any problems and want some advice from experienced cat owners..

ill post pics later thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Cat Addict

Well....you're doing great so far The point is that the resident cat DOES know that the other cat is there, and starts getting used to his scents and presence, without a face to face confrontation. Yer' doin' fine
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 07:22 PM

I'm going through the same thing right now, as I type this!!! just brought a third cat home today..the resident cats are curious about the new cat, but the new cat is hissing and growling up a storm..this will take a few days, that is for sure!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

thanks for the quick reply mike.. i got her at Glasgow animal shelter today i guess it will be normal for my resident cat to sit a few feet from the door for a while? I was thinking maybe atleast 2-3 days before ANY face to face contact? What do you suggest?

here's the new Priscilla.. i'll get better pics later, she is SO sweet and crawled in my lap first thing.. she's already comfortable here.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyLA
I'm going through the same thing right now, as I type this!!! just brought a third cat home today..the resident cats are curious about the new cat, but the new cat is hissing and growling up a storm..this will take a few days, that is for sure!!
well i haven't went in to check on the new cat right yet since he knows the resident cat is outside, but she has been around cats at the shelter and right now my resident cat is calm, he hissed a few times when i went to talk to him. i'm sure the new cat is okay because she's already "home" she fits right in or atleast in the room i've fixed for her..

good luck nancy! keep me posted on how your condition is going as i will do the same
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyally
thanks for the quick reply mike.. i got her at Glasgow animal shelter today i guess it will be normal for my resident cat to sit a few feet from the door for a while? I was thinking maybe atleast 2-3 days before ANY face to face contact? What do you suggest?
That should do just fine. Trace took the longest of any cat I've ever brought home to introduce, and it was about a week before they were in the same room together. After 3 days I used a heavy wire to wire his door open, and let them do the face to face on their own terms

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

aww .. cute

well i was just inspecting her a bit more and i am pretty sure she has a bunch of ear mites.. either that or her ears are really dirty. I'm taking her to the vet to remove stitches for spaying on thursday so i guess i'll have to get them seen about. in the mean time, do you guys think i could clean them with a bit of hydrogen peroxide and a cotton ball?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 09:27 PM

I would just clean them out with a cotton ball, honestly -- I think it'd be best for your vet to see the stuff inside her ears to diagnose the ear mites (I'm sure that's what it is, though, Trixie had the same thing when we got her). Someone else may have a different opinion, though.

She's very pretty.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks guys

I've been in a few times to play with Roxy but she has a weird meow. it's almost like a hoarse throat sounding. She also has sneezed 2-3 times and feels kind of hot maybe like she has a temp. I can't get into the vet until Thursday so i will keep him confined in the room and NO CONTACT with resident cat. I am kind of worried my resident cat will try to open the door to the new cat room because he knows how but hasn't shown any interest as to do it. I hate to lock resident cat in another room while i sleep because that is not a normal routine at all, he's free to roam everywhere in the apartment.

Just hope the new cat isn't really really sick or anything.

I posted some better pics on Meet my kitty thread of Roxy.

Bye guys
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Why am i having second thoughts?! I was for sure i wanted another cat but now that i have her here, i am re-evaluating the situation. Why? I'm not sure.. maybe because of the semi-stress level it has caused in my resident cat of 4 years. It's a bigger change than i expected. I feel bad for springing this on my Sugar Pie (resident cat) when everything was routine/normal to begin with.

Will this go away? I thought it would but the more the evening passes the more i'm not so sure. I want to provide this cat with a loving home but at the same time i'm worried about my first baby.

She's a gorgeous cat and purrs constantly, starting to bite and scratch a bit but i leave the room if she does... sigh. Maybe i jump into things before thinking it through!! But then again, i've thought about it for a long time..

Sorry needed to ventilate that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page