Thinking of getting a kitten; have 9 mo old cat. Advice? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting a kitten; have 9 mo old cat. Advice?

I have been toying with the idea of getting another kitten. Currently, I have one kitty/ cat, Spartan, that is about 8-9 months old. He is the only cat I have and I fear he gets bored and such when I am not there. He gets into a lot of trouble, but I think it’s just because he is bored. He is already neutered. I was thinking about getting another one so they could play with each other and have a companion for when I am not there. My concern is that Spartan will not like having a kitten around while he’s been ‘king of the castle’ his whole life and I am concerned as to how they will get along.

I know a lot of it has to do with their personalities, but just in general, you think this would be a good thing or a bad thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM

I'm currently introducing an adult cat to two one year old cats..it is tricky..but I think your cat is young enough to accept a second cat..just be prepared for the adjustment period..it's a bit stressful!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Yea, that’s the thing. I would be getting a friend for his good, not really mine; someone for him to play with and be with when I am not there. I do tend to work a lot (~50 hrs) and travel over some weekends and I feel really bad for Spartan when I am not there.

I know what you mean about being stressful; I am already stressed and I don’t even have a second one yet!! I just don’t want anything to backfire and them hate each other. I am also going to be moving in about a month, so maybe I should introduce a new kitten to Spartan when he is introduced to a new living environment.

I am reading some of the other threads, also… thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 PM

Milan was 8-9 months old when I brought Addie home (Addie was 2-2.5 years) it really depends on the individual cats as to how long they will accept other cats.

Addie came from a foster home with several other cats so to her it wasn't anything new -- she was more curious about her new home. Milan however would sit in my lap and growl at first -- then she would follow Addie around the apartment about 3 feet behind her to 'keep an eye' on this strange new comer. They would only hiss at each other if they ended up getting too close to each other. I never left them unsupervised, when I was at work (Addie stayed in the bathroom while Milan kept the rest of the apartment to herself)

Do searches on here for introducing cats and just remember your experiences will probably be different than everyone elses and you'll just need to modify and adapt to your situation.

Me, I tried locking Addie out of my bedroom at night so she could wander the apartment while Milan was in the bedroom with me -- but Addie would just cry all night long, so I tried to switch that around and leave Addie in my room with me at night and lock Milan out -- that didn't work -- Milan clawed at my door all night long and cried. Eventually I just locked us all in my bedroom together and said we were going to have to learn to get along!

6 months later and they are getting friendlier (I've caught them grooming each other a few times)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 PM

Every cat is different both in personality and history but at 9 months old I would think there is still enough kitten in him that it shouldn't be too much of a problem and for them to become friends. There are no guarantees but it is definitely easier when they are younger and your cat is still on the young side. I personally think a second kitten is a great idea if that is what you want to do. Perhaps a little older one that's still wanting to play a lot but not so tiny you have to worry so much. When we got Lewis he was 4 months old and he was ready to play. I didn't worry about him like I would have if he had been 8 weeks or so. He was big enough and rough enough to hold his own with the other two. And the other two, Wallace and Marcellus were still fairly young at a year and a half so they loved playing with him.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:18 PM

When I got a kitten for Mickey, he was over 2 years old. Instant love!! "Thank you, thank you Mom". Right from the beginning and until this day, they are the best of friends. When I got the third one, it was a nightmare! Hissss, growl, smack! 3 1/2 years later, I have 4. Complete harmony after some trial periods. Even to this day, Mickey will sit next to the other male, Kip. This is how it goes; grooming --- lick, lick, lick BITE, SMACK! Two minutes later; lick, lick, lick, lick, lick BITE. Then they fall asleep next to each other! Who can figure out these complicated creatures we love so much!? LOL
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:48 PM

Tinkerbell was somewhere between 7 and 9 months, I think, when we got Minnie. We got her for the same reason -- Erik and I would leave to go to school and hear her crying. It took a few days but they were soon best buds...and Minnie, even though she's twice her size, now sees Tink as her mommy.

I am a firm believer that a cat should not be the only cat in the household, I think they need cat companionship as much as they need human companionship.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advice! I will look into it further and try to find a good aged kitten for Spart' to hang out with.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 PM

Minnie was 6 weeks when we brought her home, just FYI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page