Feeling like a bad mommy.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Feeling like a bad mommy....

Every night my boyfriend is the first to get home at 5 o'clock, he takes the dog out and I arrive home from work shortly after. Last night he told me that our one cat Kouji tried to escape when he got home, something which our cats do in rarity. But he was able to stop her.

We have five cats and live in a two story house so it's quite normal to not see some of our cats for a few hours. So last night we ate dinner than I watched tv upstairs while my boyfriend watched tv downstairs. Then he came up to bed and I sat up watching a movie until 2am. After the movie was over I noticed that 4 of the 5 cats were on the bed with me, which struck me as odd because Kenji is my little cuddlemuffin and is always the first to lay down with me when I'm in bed.

So I went downstairs and added dry food to their bowl (which causes them all to come running), only 4 cats came. So I check the bathroom (which we keep closed because the cats like to TP the room), the laundry room, the basement, closets, etc....no sign of him. I opened the front door and called for him thinking maybe he got out...nothing. So I woke up my boyfriend, got dressed (so I wouldn't freeze outside) and headed back down ready to check the neighborhood at 2:30 in the morning and when I opened the door...there he was. My little man, my little cuddlemuffin. He had been outside for nearly 10 hours all by his lonesome. He must have slipped out when my boyfriend grabbed Kouji (who had also made a run for the door).

Now 3 of the cats are just sniffing him and seem glad he's back. The 4th, Koda, his real life brother (same litter and everything), keeps growling and hissing and swatting at Kenji. Koda's acting like Kenji's a new cat we brought into the house.

And I feel like a rotten mommy for not noticing that I hadn't seen Kenji all evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:00 AM

Not a bad mommy.

Go check out my post where my Harley was in the dryer all night long.

Thank doG it wasn't running!!!

We all make mistakes and in a full household, it's hard to get a head count all the time! I have 8 furry bodies to keep track of!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 11:20 AM

I don't think you're a bad mommy

I believe sometimes we made mistakes..

Later on today, i was feeling like i am a bad mommy as well..
My furry baby accidently swallowed a piece of alluminium foil [even tho it's not that big, but still.. ]
I knew that there was a piece of the foil dropped on the carpet and he was playing with it.
But i was too ignorant, thinking, "oh, it's okay, he was just playing with it".
Who would've guessed he actually ate it?
*sigh*
I panicked, then tried to call the vet.
He looked normal, didnt show any sign that he got sick or anything.
But just to be sure, checked with the vet.

It, for sure, teached me a lesson to be more careful next time.
He is still a baby, and he doesnt know what he is doing, and i was supposed to be cautious and aware about it.

Stuff happens, you shouldn't punish yourself because you made a mistake. Jus learn from it.
I am sure Kenji knows that you love him..

[Sorry about the long post, the same feeling happened to me too today, just thinking, i wanted to share my feelings too ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 01:49 PM

Aww, don't feel bad, you couldn't help it.

A similar thing happened to us in our old apartment -- Minnie (who was new, we had her about 2 weeks) had gotten out and I didn't notice for a few hours, I thought she was sleeping behind the couch. Erik and I left to go to class and she was laying outside our door, sleeping. I cried and felt so bad...and bought her a collar with a bell on it...but it couldn't have been helped.

Don't beat yourself up too much, be happy and thankful he's safe and sound at home.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Yup, things happen. You're a responsible and caring mommy; you should NOT feel bad. You went looking for him, and if you hadn't been ready to do a search at 2:30am, you may not have seen him there, as he may have left again.

Thankfully he's safe and sound. Kenji, you little dickens!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm sure you felt bad, but I know how happy little Kenji must have been to see you. I''m guessing he got a lot a love and many treats last night. And oh, how soft and warm your bed must have felt! I hope he stays inside, safe and warm!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:02 PM

Awww, the poor thing and poor you!! Don't feel horrible, you're not a bad mommy! Things happen all the time. *hugs* Scotty and Oscar send head butts to Kenji.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, poor guy! Glad he's home safe.

Don't beat yourself up -- these things happen all the time even when we're careful. You sound like you take excellent care of your cats. And everyone's OK which is great!!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:01 PM

not a bad mommy

youre not a bad mommy. thats obvious by the fact that he came home. as for his brother... dont worry. hes probably just jealous (im sure theyre all curious about the "great big outside") and maybe even smells other cats on him, more jealousy.

i bawl my eyes out on the rare occassion that my older kitty gets past the door. instantly. but the occasional disappearing act does not make you a bad mommy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page