Travel Advice Needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Travel Advice Needed

Hey Guys,
My husband and I are going to visit my Mom at her house for a week at Christmas (she is a 5 hour drive away) and of course need to make arrangements for our two 8 month old kitties. My question is are they better off coming with us and having the stress of travel but being with their mamma and pappa or are they better off being boarded where they don't have any travel stress but are away from us and in a strange place? Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Premier Cat

Have you considered a pet sitter? We use one when we go away and it works just fine.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:59 PM

Mine are happiest at home. I have a trusted friend or neighbor come take care of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:50 PM

My kitties are travel kitties and they come with us everywhere.

My biggest word of advice for traveling is to not confine them to a pet carrier. Mine FREAK OUT in those. I have harnesses and leashes to transport them to and from the car, and then I let them loose and they all find their place in my truck and go to sleep. We drive to Cleveland (4 hours) and to North Carolina to see Erik (8 hours) with no problem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 PM

I also wanted to add that I've found that starting them traveling as kittens is easier...they're more willing to agree with change.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
It depends on the cat... Dylan isn't too bad travelling... We put a sheet over his carrier so he doesn't get freaked out so much.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
My biggest word of advice for traveling is to not confine them to a pet carrier.
I'm sorry but no animal should be loose in a vehicle, even my dog travels in a carrier securely fastened to a seat. Small animals loose in the car would most certainly be killed in the event of an accident (if they don't actually cause it!) and even if they weren't the chances of being reunited with them following an accident would be quite small

To ans. the original poster. My lot are left at home if we're away for a few days with my brother calling in to feed and check up on them each day. If you have no one to do that i'd place them in a cattery, much less chance of them escaping into a strange environment from a cattery than a house.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:19 PM

Traveling With Kitties

I agree with the posts that say you should leave them at home and have a pet sitter, neighbor, friend, relative or whatever -- someone trust worthy come in to take care of them. Cats do not do well with change. It is very stressful for them. So staying at home where they are comfortable and familiar is best. If you don't leave them home they will be stressed --either the stress of boarding or if you take them with you, they will have the stress of the ride plus the stress of being in a different environment --even though they are with you, they're still in a different house with people they aren't familiar with. I have a friend who does take her cat with her when she travels but this cat has been traveling since she was only a few days old (she was abandoned by her mother at birth & my friend bottle fed her) and she is used to a harness and leash. If you do decide to board, is there a facility that is just for cats where they can be together in a large kennel area? That would be the second best solution, in my opinion.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 AM

I would say take them with you. 5 hours is not a long time. Keep them in a large carrier together so they can keep each other company. Schnitz gets very stressed out if he is in his carrier alone. But if Squirrel is with him he's fine.

I think getting them used to travel now while they are young is best. Remember, you will be visiting Mom in future years so you might as well get them used to it now.

If it does not work out, then you know you will have to try something else the next visit to Mom's.

Do not under any circumstances let them out of the carrier in the car. I made that mistake once and it took me a hour to pry my cat out from under the front seat. I was at a rest stop along the highway and I was terrified she would bolt out the open door into the corn fields and I would never see her again.

Good Luck.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 PM

Allie Mae loves riding in the car! I am one that does not confine my baby. She sits on the middle console and looks out just like any kid would. Then she get's in the passenger seat (or my lap if I am in the passenger seat!) She goes everywhere with me! But, she has ever since she was little, so she is used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page