how do I get my cat to drink more water? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

how do I get my cat to drink more water?

He refuses to drink out of his water bowl and instead opts for the leftover water in the bathtub and bathroom sink. I know he doesn't get enough water but I am frustrated because I can't force him to drink. any ideas on how to entice him to drink? I have used several different water bowls, one plastic one metal, I change his water and try to lead him over to it. But changing it now seems pointless since it's NEVER touched.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Premier Cat

You could get him a fountain. Also, if you're feeding him wet he'll get a lot of moisture from that too.

Victoria
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Tom Cat

Here's another vote for a fountain. We use the PetMate but there are several other popular brands. Do a search on the forum for water fountains and you'll find a wealth of information. By the way they are much cheaper online then in the stores typically.

Also if your cat is already on wet food you can always try adding a little water to it to juice it up a bit. Mine don't seem to mind this at all and I feel better knowing they are getting that little bit extra.

Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

And if you have a cat like Tommy who doesn't even drink out of his fountain, you can try mixing warm water in with his food....so it's kind of like a stew.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 PM

I did the "stew" thing as well w/Sheba for a while. She never used to touch her water dish, so water in the wet food it was.
Now with our 2nd cat, she has gone and totally altered her eating/drinking habits. She eats much more dry (we used to leave it around for free feeding, but now w/doogie who eats it like caviar, it is a measured part of their meals) and now drinks more water--most likely b/c she needs more moisture b/c of the dry food. Also, we often feed Merrick food, which really seems to have a higher amount of liquid--so I'm no longer that worried about water intake.
Doogie, our "puppy" cat, is the wierd one though and yesterday I caught him drinking out of the toilet--eww, time to keep the lid down!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 PM

Three out of my four cats LOVE their fountain...and the only reason Trixie doesn't drink from it is just because she's used to drinking from a bowl.

You can find them on ebay for cheaper than in the stores -- we saved $15.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Tom Cat

I add water to Tuxie's food, it forces her to drink more water! and she loves it!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
lol yep...tuna flavored water ought to do it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Banned

Did you try a ceramic bowl? Yes, add a little bit of tuna juice to the water to make it more appealing. Also give fresh water everyday and clean the bowl everyday. He might notice the chemicals that you use on the bowl so maybe use a mild cleanser to clean it with.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to ChiaZ Send a message via MSN to ChiaZ Send a message via Yahoo to ChiaZ
I had the same problem with Kahlua - she just wouldn't drink from her bowl. She always liked drinking from the fish bowl though, but I didn't think that was too healthy. We tried all kinds of bowls before we finally got one of those fountains and WOW what a difference, now she really drinks, and you can really tell from the extras in her litter box

Chiara
~~ mommy to Kahlua (as of Oct 25/04)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page