Positive Christmas Tree Post - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Positive Christmas Tree Post

I must say that after reading all the posts on here regarding cats and Christmas trees last year, I was very contemplative on putting a tree up this year. I didn't even bother last year because she was only 8 months old, but I figured I'd give it a go this year. And I'm glad I did. I am proud to say that after one week and 3 days, my little angel has yet to neither destroy the tree nor knock one ornament off. I made a point to not to hang any breakables at first, but now I've been able to add some.

The only "secrets" I used to deter her are as follows. When it was first erected, I didn't play with her around the tree. As cute as she looked trying to play chase around it, I just ignored her. Also, by promptly putting all my presents around the tree, she is not interested in working her way through the all the bags and boxes to climb up the tree (I know, I'm a freak, I already have all my shopping done and presents wrapped!). If you are not as anal retentive as I, you can just wrap empty boxes to put under the tree so it's not as enticing for your kitties to climb in, plus if they tear into the faked wrapped presents you won't be as upset!

Of course she always gets plenty of play time with the mommy and the daddy, plus she has her own tree to play on and plenty of her own toys.

I hear and read all the time about people's "bad" kitties and I know they are all different, but I sincerely believe if you take the time to ensure your kitty has plenty to distract them and play a game of chase every evening, you will reap the benefits. My hubby and I both work full time jobs, but we ensure to make the time and play with our baby when at home and it seems to be paying off.

Good luck everyone with your kitties and the Christmas trees. Keep in mind; I only have one cat, so I can't really give any useful advice for multi-cat households. Also, my tree is short, fake and rather full. I guess a little less tempting than the real ones. But when you have a pet, you sometimes have to make sacrifices to ensure your whole families happiness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:20 PM

Cats & Trees

I've also heard that spraying the tree with lemon works as a deterrant. Anyone else heard of this?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
We have a real tree, and four cats. We've never had any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:14 PM

Alllie just plays with the very bottom ornaments and sleeps on the tree skirt. It's her favorite place this time of year.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:44 AM

I set up the tree and leave it undecorated for a few days, after my guys get used to it being there, I decorate it. One ignores it completely and the other likes to sleep under the tree. I haven't sprayed it with anything to deter them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Cat

I have never had any issue with my cats and the xmas tree. The only thing is that I don't put any preservatives in the water at the base. Dusty LOVES to drink the tree water. The sap must make it taste good or something....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 PM

You guys definitely don't have a Wallace! He loves trees and there is no deterring him. We tried all the tricks. We put just a few unbreakable oranments and let him climb as we totally gave up with him. We have a fake tree so we just rearrange the limbs every morning. We just decided it's pretty cute to have a little kitty ornament peeking out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 AM

I'm glad things worked out for you!

We have the tree up, however it will not be lit this year. Bandit has decided that Christmas lights should be a part of his well balanced diet! After 2 sets of lights, we just decided that this year, we'll go lightless!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Cats & Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyannietaffychester
I've also heard that spraying the tree with lemon works as a deterrant. Anyone else heard of this?
I haven't heard of that, but I bought a product called "Bitter Yuck" at PetSmart - it has rosemary extract and is bitter tasting. I sprayed it on the bottom branches and the cords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page