Cat acting out, please help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Cat acting out, please help!

Hello! I am new here. I have three cats, Tiger, Jasper and Chance. Chance is the newest addition. I found him in the bushes when he was only a couple of weeks old. I was worried that my older cats, who are 5, would not accept him, but to my surprise they took him right in. Tiger, who is a big fluffy cat with some Main Coon in him, sort of acted like a make-shift mother (even though he's male). Tiger has a very strong personality and is the alpha cat. In the past when I've gone on vacation for longer than two days, Tiger has gone #2 on my bed on the side where I sleep--even when I've had people look in on them or even stay at my house to watch them. My vet said he was just acting out. Lately, he's been doing this ANY time I leave the house. I went through all of my blankets and am thorougly disgusted. So, I have started shutting the bedroom door when I leave. I've also been shutting all the cats out of my room at night so I can get decent sleep. Tiger wakes me up at 5 am to feed him and he gets very persistant. The kitten is pretty roudy too. He is not happy about being locked out of my room after spending the last 5 years sleeping with me.

Well, last night I was dozing off on the couch watching TV and I woke up when Tiger jumped up on me and proceeded to URINATE ON ME. I was so grossed out and now I don't know what to do about his behavior. Obviously he's really peeved off. Has anyone experienced anything similar? What did you do? Anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Premier Cat

Hi and welcome to the forum!! Sorry to hear about your problem with Tiger.

Inappropriate elimination is a frequently discussed topic on these boards. There can be a number of causes for this. Some questions for you:

You mentioned that you spoke to your vet about this. Did the vet examine Tiger to rule out any health problems?

How recently did you bring Chance home?

Have you thoroughly cleaned the areas when the cat is soiling with an enzyme cleaner to remove the scent?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Potty problems

Thanks for your reply. When Tiger has gone to the bathroom it has never penetrated a surface--like the mattress, only the blankets, which I threw out. I did use a very strong cleaner that I got from PetsMart anyway on the mattress. Last night when Tiger urinated on me he only soiled a throw blanket, which I promptly threw in the trash. Tiger has been doing the #2 thing since he was a kitten when I leave town. I found out 5 months ago that Tiger is diabetic but that shouldn't make him go to the bathroom on me or go #2 on the bed. I brought Chance home in Sept.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Potty problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredwriter76
I found out 5 months ago that Tiger is diabetic but that shouldn't make him go to the bathroom on me or go #2 on the bed.
I can't comment on the diabetes specifically, but there are members here with diabetic cats that can -- Jennifer2 comes to mind. Anyone have a thought as to whether there could be a connection with the diabetes?

I also think it is interesting that Tiger has been doing this since he was a kitten. That would suggest a behavior problem. Have you tried locking him out of your bedroom when you are away?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Potty problems

Tiger has a HUGE pesonality ... basically he is the boss of the house. I now lock him out of the bedroom every day. He's very smart, though, and was able to open the door by standing on a bench and twisting the handle if you can believe that! So, I did away with the bench. I know the #2 thing is a behavioral thing but the peeing on me really is bothersome. I immediately changed his litter box, which I had already changed that morning and he finished going when I was done. It seems the litter box has to be devoid of any waste before he'll use it now. That could be the problem?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Potty problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredwriter76
It seems the litter box has to be devoid of any waste before he'll use it now. That could be the problem?
That brings up another question -- how many litterboxes do you have in your house? A general rule of thumb is one per cat plus one. Do you have enough space to add any more?

Certainly that could be part of the problem.

Is he using the box when you shut the bedroom or are you finding messes elsewhere?

I would love for others to jump in here. The forum picks up quite a bit at night, so I expect there will be more responses then.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Litter boxes

I only have one litter box. I only have space for one more. I DID have two (i still have it, it's in the garage), one for the kitten and one for my two older cats who have been together since they were a few weeks old. But the kitten kept using the other litter box anyway. He's even gotten in the litter box at the SAME time as Tiger (he really looks up to him) and used it simultaneously. Tiger has never had a problem sharing the litter box with Jasper. He does use it way more now that he is diabetic (he urinates a lot). I change out the litter every day, sometimes twice a day. Maybe he is bothered by the kitten sharing the box but I'm not sure how to make the kitten stop using Tiger's box.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:28 PM

Hi
I would honestly get his sugar levels checked, just to be sure. When Korbel was first diagnosed with diabetes, one of the reasons I took her to be seen by the vet was because she was defecating outside of the box. In hindsite it was because her sugar levels were too high and she had a very slight touch of neuropathy (hind leg weakness) so getting in and out of the litterbox was hard for her. When she did use the box (usually for urinating) she'd often get litter clumped on her legs from flooding the area around her feet. Both of those issues resolved themselves once I got her blood sugar under control.

Once you get his sugars checked (or you can do it at home yourself, you save money and have a better idea of how he is doing at anytime-you still keep your vet informed, if interested let me know and I can steer you in the right places). But, once you get the sugar levels checked if there is nothing wrong, then start to look at behavioral issues but I'm a big fan of getting any medical issues cleared first.

Along with getting sugar checked, I'd want a urine sample to rule out a UTI
Jennifer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Blood sugar

Thank you. You are probably right. Tiger has been getting litter clumped to his back feet too from flooding the litter box. I made an appointment for Monday. Do you use insulin?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:33 PM

Yes, Korbel gets a shot twice a day. I use Humulin L, for now at least, they are supposed to be discontinuing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page