Drinks, Sinks, and Drizzle... Help? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to MrPurryMotors Send a message via MSN to MrPurryMotors
Drinks, Sinks, and Drizzle... Help?

My little guy Drizzle is perhaps one of the most persistant, and, rewarded for such bad behavior, cats known to exist. I spoil him. I always have. I always will. I can't help myself! He's the lite of my life, and he knows it.

Whenever I tell him no on something, he just sits there and gives me this look - the puppy-dog eyes type thing, yeah, we thought that was originated from puppy dogs? Nope! Cats must've created it, cause Drizzle has it down to a T! Needless to say, I usally give it. I'm totally *****(cat) whipped, hehe.

Thing is, on this particular issue, I am *tired* of giving in...

Drizzle likes drinks, from the sink. Normally, not a problem. When we're downstairs, and he wants a drink, he goes to the bathroom door, meows once or twice, and up I go to give him a drink. He even pays for them, lol. We've taught him to "reach for the stars" - the doorknob - which he now does without even being told to. It's adorable, makes us smile, so we don't mind giving him (or Boo, who doesn't reach, but does meow lol) drinks in the downstairs bathroom.

However, when we're upstairs... it's a bit to much. The bathroom is farther away, we're usually in bed, or working on something here on the computer, and it's just become to much. He has water bowls upstairs and down, which he does use. We just bought him a new fountain - an actual fountain, the water goes up in the air via this straw-like tube, and comes back down onto a little platform and runs off into the water. It's great, not like those "slide" fountaints that our cats never enjoyed.

Drizzle even LIKES the fountain. He'll drink from it all the time.

But when he wants a "sink drink" upstairs, he refuses. All he wants is the **** sink. And he cries, and cries, and whimpers, and cries, until he gets it. Nothing makes him stop. And to be honest, I don't have the heart to do any sort of punishment, like putting him in a room and closing the door. I'm totally a whimp when it comes to discipline of him; but on the inverse, when I tell him "no," on 99% of things, he obeys me, cause he knows I'll pick him up and remove him from anywhere he should not be, or whatever else. It's the rare things like this one sink he will not give in on.

Any ideas? I've refused for 2 or 3 days now, and, while he will give in after about an hour, he will also continue to try, every few hours, all day. I can't go near the steps without him running up, stopping mid-way, looking back, and saying, "Drinky?" with those cute lil eyes of his.

HELP!?

MEOW! - What else do I need to say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're going to have to persevere with refusing the 'sink drink'!! The only way he is going to stop asking for it, is when he knows he won't get it, regardless of how much he cries! Don't feel like you need to punish him though, he's not doing anything wrong, he's just got into a bad habbit! I am guilty of the same sort of thing, in fact I bet most people are, but when it reaches a point where you are coming downstairs just to let him drink from the tap...I think you got a problem! It's a mistake to presume that cats have the same feelings as we do, he won't resent you, hate you, etc for not allowing it anymore. If you feel really bad then once he's stopped crying, leave it a while and then give him some extra attention, but I'd leave it a while in case he starts to associate his crying with recieving attention! Man these little creatures really know how to wrap us round their little claws!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Cat Addict

Many cats like drinking running water because its fresher and tastes better. My suggestion is to get him a pet fountain. These are water dishes that have a pump and keep the water running and filtered all the time. If you have a Petsmart near you, you can print the product page off their website and bring it in to the store to get that price (regular store prices are higher)

Petmate fountain
Drinkwell fountain

Many other pet stores carry them too.
He'll get the fresh water he wants and [hopefully] won't bug you to turn on the faucet anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:48 PM

I agree with the others in that a fountain might be the best way to go.

Good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Re: Drinks, Sinks, and Drizzle... Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPurryMotors
We just bought him a new fountain - an actual fountain, the water goes up in the air via this straw-like tube, and comes back down onto a little platform and runs off into the water. It's great, not like those "slide" fountaints that our cats never enjoyed.

That's the problem with long posts -- no one reads them.

They already HAVE a fountain for the cat and he apparently loves it
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
Hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're going to have to persevere with refusing the 'sink drink'!! The only way he is going to stop asking for it, is when he knows he won't get it, regardless of how much he cries! Don't feel like you need to punish him though, he's not doing anything wrong, he's just got into a bad habbit!
Yip, that's all you can do... Just ignore him. He'll probably drive you nuts for the first few weeks but you'll just have to stick to it. Maybe when he starts crying you can go up to him and say "NO" really loud and then take him to his fountain?

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to MrPurryMotors Send a message via MSN to MrPurryMotors
Re: Drinks, Sinks, and Drizzle... Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPurryMotors
We just bought him a new fountain - an actual fountain, the water goes up in the air via this straw-like tube, and comes back down onto a little platform and runs off into the water. It's great, not like those "slide" fountaints that our cats never enjoyed.

That's the problem with long posts -- no one reads them.

They already HAVE a fountain for the cat and he apparently loves it
Indeed. LOL.

He has one, he loves it, but he stills wants the sink.

My major problem is, I'm too sensitive. I always have been. It's actually covered under the umbrella of a disorder I've got, being to sensitive, especially to things like this. When he cries, all I can think of is, "Ohh! Poor baby! What's the matter, what can I do to help?" and the like. Plus his cry is extra sad at times.

It's *REALLY* tough.

I mean, you have no idea. I've very lil will power, either.

Isn't there some way to make him understand the sink is "bad" or the fountain is "better" ?

MEOW! - What else do I need to say?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

'Our troubles are of our own making, me thinkst!'
I'm afraid I have to agree. You're going to have to be tough. I went through the same thing with my cats and it did take a couple of weeks of torture! I felt SO guilty! But they did stop begging, mostly.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page