I have got a new kitty...need some advice..and suggest names - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

I have got a new kitty...need some advice..and suggest names

Hey I got a new kitty on sunday ... Its a persian kitten and is 7 weeks old .... It is brown in colour and is very furry .... ssooooooo cuteeee....

It is also loving and playful.... I also play with her and she enjoys it a lot... she hops here and there like a rabiit and I really luvv her .... what i wanted to know is that should I go and pet her or pick her when she is playing or just let her on her own and allow her to come to me when she feels like.... is forcefully petting the kitten and picking her up when she isnt the mood a good idea ...plz tell...

also i hav a seperate bed for her which is my room.... she usually sleeps there and sometimes comes on my bed when she is in a loving mood.... obviously I want her to sleep with me... Please tell whether i should be patient and let her come on her own or should I keep her on my bed whenever she feels sleepyy.. this way by forcing her will she lose trust in me ??

I don't want her to dislike me, instead I want her to like me and bond with me so that is why I dont want to lose her trust on me... so that is why i avoid forcing her on doing things or being petted .... I personally feel leaving her on her own wish would be a good way of earning her trust and love.... please tell if i am right ...

Also please suggest me some good and easy to pronounce names .... the names should be short like leo, tom ... but my kitty is a female so please suggest some good female kitty names...

Thanx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:43 PM

Moka (Moe-Kah)
Taj (like Taj Mahal)
Reece (ree-ssssss)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Cat Addict

Congratulations on your kitten!

I encourage you to be patient and gentle with her. Let her come to you, but when she does, make it worth it. Make her realise that coming to you means she gets attention, and she's more likely to come to you. Avoid forcing a kitten to do anything, because they might get sour on it.

As far as names go, I think you should wait and see what her personality is like. I believe that animals will tell us what their names are if we're patient and listen.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I kind of "forced"my three little ones to be around me constantly when I first got them.

I was fostering them. They were semi-feral. I desperately wanted them to be socialized in two weeks so I could adopt them out.

Of course, after two weeks, they were so socialized I ended up keeping them.

Forced socialization worked for my kitties. They are the most amazing lap-cats you had ever seen.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Tom Cat

Cats are very social creatures; with that being said, they are also very independent. They like to do things in their own time and in their own way. I, however, do not think that there is any such thing as giving "too much" love to a new kitty. A lot of interaction is key to a well socialized and loving kitty. Play with her when you can, and cuddle her as long as she will let you. Most kitties will let you know when they've had enough.

As far as sleeping with you, cats will figure out (for the most part) that sleeping with you is nice and toasty and sooooo comfortable. My cats prefer the bed to any other surface in the house. If you move around at night a lot, they may decide to sleep elsewhere, as they don't like being disturbed. I would just let HER decide where to sleep. Chances are, she will be cuddled up with you in no time. I don't see anything wrong with picking her up when she falls asleep elsewhere and laying her on the bed with you.

It is very important that you give her lots of love and attention. Picking her up and petting her is not a bad thing, and if she doesn't want to be petted, then just be patient. She is a kitten and they are very playful and hardly ever still. As she gets older, she will become more affectionate and will seek you out more. You don't want to leave her completely alone to do as she wishes, because she will get used to being alone, playing alone, etc. Play with her with some interactive toys (Da bird, tossing catnip toys for her to chase, rolling cat balls, etc) so that she will get used to having bonding, fun time with you.

As far as names go, I like:

Purrsia
Purris (as in Paris Hilton, since persians are so high maintenance )
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Tom Cat

I guess it's not a female name but your description made me think of Fizgig which was a fuzzy crazy animal in the movie The Dark Crystal. I have no clue why I thought of that since I haven't seen the movie since it was in the theater

Kel
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM

The Naming of Cats

The Naming of Cats

*The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
***It isn't just one of your holiday games;
*You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
*When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
*First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
***Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
*Such as Victor or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey -
***All of them sensible everyday names.
*There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
***Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
*Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
***But all of them sensible everyday names.
*But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
***A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
*Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
***Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
*Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
***Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
*Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum -
***Names that never belong to more than one cat.
*But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
***And that is the name that you never will guess;
*The name that no human research can discover -
***But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
*When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
***The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
*His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
***Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
*****His ineffable effable
*****Effanineffable
*Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

--T.S. Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page