DSHair, DMH, or DLH?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
DSHair, DMH, or DLH??

How can I tell if my babies are short, medium or long haired? I want to say that I have one of each as Midnight's fur is the shortest, Star's fur is a bit longer than Midnight's (but shorter than Lucky's), and Lucky's fur is the longest, fluffiest, and softest of all. I'm judging all this by how I'll rub their coats "against the grain" so to speak.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right section, so if it needs to be moved, I'll understand.

I hope that you wonderful people can help me figure this out. Thanx!

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

I see you haven't gotten an answer yet. I'm no expert on this, so don't take my word for it, but I suspect it's probably a matter of personal judgment as to which category a domestic "breed" cat falls into. I've seen cats at shelters listed as long or short that I thought belonged in medium. If there's a specific standard, I hope somebody tells us both.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
but I suspect it's probably a matter of personal judgment as to which category a domestic "breed" cat falls into. I've seen cats at shelters listed as long or short that I thought belonged in medium.
Your last sentence is kind of what got me wondering about my cats. When we had Midnight spayed and her boys neutered back in August, they listed Midnight as being DLH and her boys listed as DSH, which even at 2 months, you could tell that both of her boys fur was (and still is) longer than hers.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Premier Cat

The way I understand it is, DSH= short hair all over, DMH=mostly short hair with maybe a fluffy tail, DLH=long hair all over, everywhere.
But that's just my interpritation.

Victoria
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 PM

I find this interesting too. I know Winston and Marcellus are DSH cats but I'm not so sure about Lewis and Wallace. I guess I should say Wallace. Lewis has very thick long hair all over with the exception of his legs. My Wallace has fairly long hair, Maine Coon Style, but he was listed as a DMH. His hair isn't as long or thick as Lewis's though. My queston is what are Maine Coons considered? Are they medium haired or long haired? That would help determined whether my cats are medium or long haired. I guess when I thought of long haired I always thought Persian. I'm not too knowledgeable in this area.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:01 AM

Scotty is listed as medium hair, probably because his neck fur is so fluffy he looks like a line backer. "Where did his neck go??" Oscar, however, is definitely short haired all over.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Premier Cat

I would say Maine Coons are definitely long haired.

Victoria
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

You know what I think? I think we should start our own "label". How about D(omestic) F(luffy) H(aired)? That could be the label that we use to describe cats/kittens that are not quite medium haired, but don't fit the long haired description, either.

Whaddya say? Are you all with me??

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page