Introduction Was Going Good, But... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Introduction Was Going Good, But...

Everything seemed fine. Murphy, the new addition to our family, was coming out of hiding. Molly, who usually doesn't take well to other cats, stopped screaming at him and hissing. Annie and Taffy lightly hissed. Then there's Chester who growls at Murphy everytime he gets sight of him. Murphy has decided he doesn't like being growled at and chases Chester every chance he gets. Up the stairs, down the stairs -- over and over again. Now Chester hides after being chased. This is becoming a nightmare, because they wake me up every night. It also makes me feel badly for Chester, because he was just starting to "be his own cat" -- running and playing & being a real love after his brother Winston disappeared after pushing out a window screen. Murphy has been with us for about a month now. I forget how long it takes for introductions, but can't wait for this one to end. Sometimes I feel it's hopeless and should find a different home for Murphy, but it would be a first for me, because once a cat comes into our home, (s)he becomes family. The lady who had him before said he used to chase two cats at her house. At first, I thought "play". Now I wonder. Do you think there's hope?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:03 AM

Did you keep him separate from the other cats for any length of time? Sometimes just throwing a new cat into the mix doesn't work, and you have to start all over with introductions (i.e., separate the new cat, give him his own room, swap scents but don't let the cats see each other, etc.).

I wish I could tell you more, but I haven't had too much of an issue with introductions.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Scared Cat

Thanks for your comments, emrldsky. This introduction has been the worst we've ever experienced. I've never had actual physical fighting before & chasing/stalking. As I've always done, introductions were done very slowly. Murphy was so quiet & shy when he first came (which is normal). He has become more confident and has tried being a bully with the other cats. He would try to chase the 3 girls. Didn't work. Chester would growl at him and would run. Murphy would chase him. Finally, I got angry and chased and scolded Murphy after he chased Chester. Immediately, that problem got better. Murphy bonded with the dog right away & they got along great. Now Murphy is nice to the dog sometimes and sometimes chases him (not playing). The fighting at night between Chester & Murphy has stopped for now, but Murphy howls as soon as we turn out the light. After I say, "Murphy, it's okay" he stops but sometimes starts again during the night. One night I heard him scratching on kitchen counter & caught him spraying on my microwave. Big Yuk! Someone (not blaming Murphy) is also spraying on the counter in our kitchette downstairs in the family room. Feliway is not working. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but we'll see -- it's never a dull moment here. I wonder if Murphy is jealous of the other cats. When we're in the living room at night, he wants constant attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page