Learning to accept - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Learning to accept

the sad fact that not everyone shares our love for cats and that some people really don't like them at all or even respect them. My supervisor at work has a bumber sticker on her car that says, "Cat, the other white meat." It's supposed to be a joke but I was actually offended and I don't think it's funny. Guess I won't be discussing my cats and how wonderful they are at work. I'm outnumbered by dog lovers there but at least I have the decency to respect dogs. I love them too. They're adorable. I just prefer cats as pets for me.

Throughout history it seems people have had a love, hate relationship with cats. There are people who love them and people who hate them or have strong feelings of dislike for them. But you don't hear of people having strong negative feelings towards birds or rabbits or horses or dogs. It's one thing for people to not care for cats or choose not to have them as pets but it seems there are many people who just flat out don't like them. Why? The cats have never done anything to them. Some people even have a psychological problem called Felinophobia or Ailurophobia( the fear or hatred of cats).Does anyone know why? It seems to be one of the things that make cats mysterious but it doesn't make any logical sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 02:25 AM

I use to hate cats--absolutely hated them. I hated that the idea that I would be their pet. I thought cats was like moving furniture. They would just sit there, move a little bit, then sit there again. How boring?! Obviously...my perspective has changed!

People hate cats for the same reason people hate certain types of people or food or __fill in the blank__--it's all due to ignorance. There's a misconception that cats don't do anything and that they are more of a bother than a pet. These are mostly from people who has never had a cat their life--go figure. Instead of being offended or not talking about your cat at work, you can educate people about cats. So long as you don't sound defensive about it, I think people will be very open mnded enough to hear you out.

Personally, I think people hate cats because they are too much like people. They are complicated animals who can't be easily swayed by food or other goodies that will normally work with dogs. I think that's what many people want--someone that's not complicated and will do anything to please you. Obviously, not all dogs are like that. The funny thing is that I love cats for the same reasons I use to hate them! LOL. I use to think they were complicated and picky--and I LOVE my cats for that. They are so interesting and complex. It's great.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:32 AM

its ok...i despise little dogs...anything pitbull size and bigger i love to the core of my being..but if anyone tries to talk to me about how sweet their little dog is....i just want to walk away like they insulted me. i think their ugly, annoying, yappy......ugh God did NOT make dogs to be small

i love all animals....even the "vermin" of the world...but i have no tolerance for little dogs. its like nails on a chalkboard...and if anyone tries to tell me that their little dog is better than my cats i just laugh at them and say "i trained my cats to walk on a leash, to fetch, to sit, to stay, to lay down and even shake a paw! WITHOUT having to feed them some treat like a lil princess....id like to see you train your little yappy brat to do that!...and you think cats are dumb..."

And i know ill get in trouble for saying this. know that i would NEVER speak openly like this to a client of our future pet store. i would pretend to love their yappy little dog for the clients sake...but i dont have to like the dog in my head. thats just my personal opinion. business is business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 AM
gia

What an interesting thread.

I to would find that bumper sticker offensive. Then again as a veggie I would find it offensive if it was about any animal. But even before I became veggie I would have been annoyed by it. Unfortunately many people have very little respect for anything other than human life. They seem to feel that because we have an opposable thumb etc we are an infinitely higher form of life, with the right to do as we like........... Sorry was off on one then

I have always loved cats and dogs and most other creatures. Not to happy with birds though - but like cat haters that's probably through ignorance.

I think historically cats have been hated and feared eg through their association with witches etc.

People don't realise that cats can be every bit as loyal and fun as a dog (when they chose to be ) but they also have intelligence and independence.

I found a baby pigeon once in a bus station. It has obviously fallen or been chucked out of its nest. I have to say the fact that I am not keen on birds and it was such an ugly little creature, I was reluctant to pick it up. But when I saw it struggling I had to help - of course I did. So I wrapped it in my scarf (where it promptly nodded off) and took it to work. One of my colleagues, who incidently loathes cats, said
"huh, you should have kicked it under a bus !"

I got the bird to a rescue centre where sadly it eventually died. But I took some comfort in that it died warm, peaceful and pain free.

I never truly got over that woman saying that. I just hope that when she is old and frail people don't treat her with the same contempt ! .... or maybe I hope they do ...

Gia
xxx
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Learning to accept

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggiegirl
My supervisor at work has a bumber sticker on her car that says, "Cat, the other white meat." It's supposed to be a joke but I was actually offended and I don't think it's funny.
That's a really horrible bumper sticker. Have you ever asked her about it?

If it were me (I have a hard time ignoring offensive statements), I would tell her I have cats and that I'm curious to know why she has that sticker on her car. Not in an accusatory way, but curious. Then see what she has to say.

It's disgusting, but who knows why she has it? Maybe she didn't even put it there. Or maybe she did. But it would be good to know, wouldn't it?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just started this job about a month ago. I'm getting to know people there, especially my boss. My boss said something today that I can say is kind of a relief to me. She said that although she does hate cats, she would never want them dead. Thank God. It's all just talk, talk, talk, but no harmful action. But she made it very clear that she never liked cats and never will and she also used the common argument that cats "don't do anything" She said that a cat can't protect like a dog can (I say is there really a guarantee that your dog will really protect you?) and that you can take dogs in the water, blah blah blah.

The bumper sticker is horrible and offensive to cat lovers but I think she's just trying to be funny. To her it's a hilarious joke. I haven't actually seen her car with the bumper sticker but a coworker who is our lead in our department told me about it and said that another employee also has that same bumber sticker. It's basically anti-cat pro-dog humor. But sick humor. Her latest joke was sending her cat loving friend a christmas stocking with stocking having the words Meow Meow on it and inside the stocking is a sign with an angry cat and the words, "Want a friend? Call 1-800-GET-A-DOG." She's sending that to her cat loving friend just to be funny. And in return her friend makes anti-dog comments and it goes on and on and the 2 old friends have been teasing each other for years. Some people are just crazy like that. I realize now it's all supposed to be just plain silliness but the stocking joke is way funnier than the bumper sticker joke which is only funny to cat haters and I still don't get the hate part. Animals are too innocent to hate.

I personally believe the most enlightened people are capable of loving, respecting and appreciating a variety of animals and are not biased. It's normal to have preferences but try to love or at least respect the many species on this planet as much as possible. My sister and her boyfriend have a black lab dog and Chameleons a type of reptile which require a lot of knowledge and skill to care for, are considering a saltwater fish tank, and she had a cat too but unfortunately she lost her cat, an adopted stray that one day left and never came back. She's been very very emotional about it. What's even sadder is that she lost that cat at the same time I sent her a christmas package with presents for her, her dog and her cat. I think animals deserve christmas presents too. She'll be giving the cat charmer and kitty kaviar to someone else's cats. My Mom has always had both dogs and cats and loved them all equally. I love to see people who can do that and not even enter the dog versus cat debate.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:39 AM

Re: Learning to accept

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggiegirl
the sad fact that not everyone shares our love for cats and that some people really don't like them at all or even respect them. My supervisor at work has a bumber sticker on her car that says, "Cat, the other white meat." It's supposed to be a joke but I was actually offended and I don't think it's funny. Guess I won't be discussing my cats and how wonderful they are at work. I'm outnumbered by dog lovers there but at least I have the decency to respect dogs. I love them too. They're adorable. I just prefer cats as pets for me.

Throughout history it seems people have had a love, hate relationship with cats. There are people who love them and people who hate them or have strong feelings of dislike for them. But you don't hear of people having strong negative feelings towards birds or rabbits or horses or dogs. It's one thing for people to not care for cats or choose not to have them as pets but it seems there are many people who just flat out don't like them. Why? The cats have never done anything to them. Some people even have a psychological problem called Felinophobia or Ailurophobia( the fear or hatred of cats).Does anyone know why? It seems to be one of the things that make cats mysterious but it doesn't make any logical sense to me.
Actually, I loathe birds. Sorry to burst your bubble there. I have always loved cats, I like dogs, and yet I hate birds.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Cat Addict

I agree with you, Moggie. There's something to be said of people who care for animals. Maybe this is weird, but I always felt that I couldn't trust people who don't like animals. That was kind of a "dating qualifier" for me too -- must love animals. My boyfriend is a total animal lover, I knew that when I first met him and he was crawling around on the floor with his parent's dog on one of our first dates.

I don't care too much for birds either, but I think that had something to do with the seagulls scavenging on the beach.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:05 PM

People are odd if you ask me. I volunteer for a group that is separated by the fact that the cat people like cats and the dog people like dogs. They don't get along either and attack each other at board meetings. I myself, feel if you are a true animal lover you care for all of them but may have a preference to some more then others. I volunteer for both groups and I refuse to bash or take sides. I personally prefer bigger dogs, older dogs and any cat. It doesn’t mean I would be mean to a small dog either.

I have met many cat haters and they really have no good reason. Keep in mind there are many dog haters out there too, they usually aren't as vocal because they are not outgoing people and they don't like dogs because they fear them.

I also think that parents can sometimes instil their beliefs to their kids and kids hate cats because the parents do. I was at the pound not too long ago a dog volunteer was there with her young children. She wouldn't let them touch the cats because they were "yucky and full of parasites". That is a terrible thing to say to a child!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

I would like to relate the story of people who used to say they hate cats because they never lived with a cat or never had a cat be a significant part of their lives and then turned into cat lovers once they experienced the joy of a sweet cat in their lives as a classic case of the Dr Seuss Green Eggs and Ham story. Some people, like my boss are just way too stubborn to even consider trying green eggs and ham and they never will. I'll laugh if she does though. I'll laugh if one day a cat comes into her life and changes her mind. I used to not like dogs. When I was a kid I was afraid of them. Now I love all dogs I can trust not to bite me, at least not painfully or viciously. Love bites are ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page