How long is too long for a cat to be alone? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
How long is too long for a cat to be alone?

Hello,
I don't seem to know where the time has gone this year as all of a sudden....whammo...Christmas is here out of nowhere. Of course I am working two jobs so I hardly feel it coming.

Anywho...My girlfriend and I are in southern MN and we are going to northern MN (first the east side....then the west side before I come back down alone on Sunday night). Anyways...we are planning on leaving Thursday (as in...today, lol) after school gets out. That means Cleo would be alone for the rest of the night, friday, saturday and sunday until I came home late that night.

What do you think...do you think she would be ok for this long or not? I could take her and Im thinking about doing that...but both our moms have a cat and dog (mine has a cat and a beagle and her mom has a pest aka untamed kitten and a big ol chocolate lab). I do have a cage I could use, but I dont know how much it would stress her out if we decided to take her along; although on the other hand, she could have a blast, lol.

Ideas? Suggestions? We just moved to a new town so we dont know anyone to come and check on her. I think she would be fine as far as food and water...I'd just hate to have her go three days without some sort of interaction.

Thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:45 AM

what about asking around in your area for a professional pet-sitter? we do that for our kitties when we're on vacation
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
Thanks for the suggestion. That would be a good idea, but we are both fairly broke....making it up north and back is going to be interesting.

(practices sticking out thumb)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Cat Addict

Only four days? She'll be fine. Make sure there's ample food, and set out several large bowls of water. If you can, add a second litter box, just in case she prefers to use a cleaner one. I used to sometimes leave a radio on low for my old boy, but I think that might have been me just being silly.

Have a lovely trip! I'm coming up to MN on Monday, and I can't wait.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:06 AM

I would be personally fine with it. I suppose ideally it would be nice to have someone come in to check on her once or twice but that's the ideal and I totally understand financial issues and it's not always possible. I think as long as you have plenty of food, water, and I would agree with another litter box she will be fine. Perhaps you could have a radio on or something, maybe set on a timer, just a little something to keep her company. I really wouldn't worry about it, I think she will be totally fine.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Premier Cat

We do this quite a bit and have never had a problem. My rule of thumb is that I'll call the pet sitter if I'm going to be away more than 4 days. My cats are always fine.

Check your home thoroughly for anything they can get into, chew, or knock over.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:30 PM

I had to go to Fort Knox for Erik's Basic graduation for 3.5 days and I left a lot of food out, and they have their water fountain..and my cats were fine. I don't like leaving them for that long but I couldn't get my sister to come down that weekend (what I normally do if I need to leave them).

I'm sure yours will be fine -- leave a light or two on for them and some toys out.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Cat

I agree with everyone else. I think it will be fine. And less traumatic than taking her on the trip with you!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Make sure you have plenty of fresh water and FRESH litter.

The cats would be fine. I would unplug the water fountain, though. Once I left town for four days and the water fountain broke and made this HORRIBLE noise. Luckily my babies knew how to drink out of a toilet
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:20 PM

I'm too much of a worry wart to leave my babies alone. THen again, I'll be gone quite a while this season. My parents have agreed to kitty-sit at their place while I'm in PA with Brandon and his family for a few days. Unfortunately, that means they get to come with me to my parents place. Scotty has been before and he does very well with traveling, but I don't know how Oscar is.

I'm worried that they'll be way too stressed out. So, I understand your feelings. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page