Update on Delia (pic included) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Update on Delia (pic included)

Well, I got Delia from the Humane Society back in October. When I got her, I noticed two things:

a) she had a bald spot on her front leg
b) she was very smelly around her bottom area...

Well, I took her for her vet check up right after I adopted her. Said nothing about the smelly issue but did tell the vet about her bald spot. I also let him know that Delia is always obsseive about licking her arms and stomach and inner legs. She also has had red ears and itchy chin. The vet thought it could be allergies and gave her a shot of Cortizone. I brought her home and she seemed to be doing better with not licking her self as much.

However, she's been at it again and has even more baldness on her legs and stomach. I took her in today to the vets and he gave me some of his opinions on what he thought could be the problem:

a) she could have an early fall/winter allergy in which we'd hope he got better come spring
b) she could be allergic to her food in which we'd have to put her on a prescribed diet
c) or it could be something more serious like diabetes (I notice she drinks a little more than Oliver)

So, he gave her another shot of cortizone and said if it was something that we got to doing every other month, it could signal that she could have something more serious. So let's HOPE it's just a seasonal allergy thing....for her sake and for my wallets sake!

Now, I also mentioned to my vet about how bad she has smelled since I got her. I have a cat at my parents who has had irritated anal glands before. That's what the vet said could be Delia's problem. So he had an assistant come in the room and he used a probe up Delia's bottom to drain out her glands and boy, did she SMELL! The whole ROOM stuck so bad that they said they couldn't use the room for a while and the nurse even went to get a candle to light in the room to help dilute the smell.

(Poor Delia. I said "Man, she's stinky, no wonder my other cat doesn't like her!" And the doc said, "You're other cat is Oliver, right? He doesn't like anybody!" Looong story behind that but those of you who know me, know of Ollie's behavioral problems )

Anyways, Delia is home now and very sleepy from the shot which is good because that means she's not cleaning herself. And, her bottom smells like ROSES! It's soooooo amazing how draining them made all the difference in the world. She smells so good now.

I think someone just didn't want to deal with her stinkiness and her OCD licking problem and then dumped her at the Humane Society. I'm so glad they did because I'm so glad to have her!

Oh, and I was there for about 10 minutes and between the exam, shot, and anal probe, I was charged $77! That makes me so sad.

ANYWAYS, to the point of my post... ...does anyone else have a cat that overly grooms to the point of creating tons of bald spots in their fur? And does anyone have a cat with very overactive anal glands??

Here is a pic of little Delia resting. (You can kinda see her red ear in this pic...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:58 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I heard chlorphyll can help with body odor.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Cool Cat

A friend of mine had a cat with a similar problem...every winter, he would groom and pull out the fur on his back legs and belly...totally bald tummy. He's a little bit of a whack job anyhow (he showed up on their doorstep with a big hole in his neck, probably from a coyote attack). Anyhow, I suggested that they try changing his diet and cutting out corn and wheat, and gave them some of Assumpta's old Wellness that she can't have anymore...since they swtched (to Wellness dry and cheap canned), every single bit of his fur has grown back, and he's lost flab and added muscle tone (he's a bit of a food-obsessed lazy lump now that he has a safe home).

For what it's worth, a diet change seemed to work really well for him, he is looking incredible. I'm not sure if it's more dietary fat or removing more of the grains from his diet, but it's worked wonders for this cat. Assumpta never had overgrooing issues, but removing corn and wheat from her diet cured her dandruff and cruddy coat...both of which reappeared within a week of her eating prescription Hill's i/d food when she had pancreatitis, and which disappeared within a week of switching her over to Innova Lite. It was very obvious, even the vet commented on it.

I have a couple of cats at the shelter who are compulsive groomers/fur-pullers, but I can't isolate them to try a diet change...one gets really obsessive and has real issues when she's stressed out, and the other is brand-new so I'm not sure what his deal is yet...but stress can affect grooming, as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info.

Shengmi - What would I do with the chlorphyll?

Gudewife - Both my cats are on Iams and have been since I had them. Maybe I'll look into switching to something better.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 AM

One of mine, Kip, is always licking one of his nipples. Vet checked it out and said it's a rebound thing, now. It might have itched a while back, he licked it to death making it raw, and now won't let it alone so it can heal. Kip has an unusually raspy tongue and he licks HARD. When he licks my hand or arms (which he loves to do), it actually hurts after a few seconds. I can imagine how his skin reacts to it. He doesn't lick himself all the time, but he does favor that spot. I might mention that he does have other obsessive behavior, too. He is ALWAYS scratching the litter box, especially after one of the other cats goes. Like he isn't happy with how they bury their stuff, or the layout of the litter, or whatever.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 PM

Re: Update on Delia (pic included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather102180
(Poor Delia. I said "Man, she's stinky, no wonder my other cat doesn't like her!" And the doc said, "You're other cat is Oliver, right? He doesn't like anybody!" Looong story behind that but those of you who know me, know of Ollie's behavioral problems )
I've followed your posts enought to get that. Big smile here.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
ANYWAYS, to the point of my post... ...does anyone else have a cat that overly grooms to the point of creating tons of bald spots in their fur? And does anyone have a cat with very overactive anal glands??
No on the bald spot. But yes to the anal glands, one of mine,He only express himself if he gets stressed or mad. Not much can do about but to take to the vet and/or groomers*if you take your animals there* to have them express them for you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well so far so good. She got the cortizone shot on Monday and hasn't been doing the obsessive cleaning since then. I don't know what the shot does though but so far so good.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 11:12 PM

Zoee is an obsessive groomer Just when I think I have it taken care of it starts back up. One thing my vet in Florida told me was that the cortizone may help because it can become a cycle , they groom then it is irritated from grooming so they groom more....sometimes the cortizone helps with the irritation from overgrooming.

Zoee just started this behavior this year. I'm still trying to determine exactly if it is OCD or allergy. I beleive it is OCD. Ihad her on spirit essences for quite a while and I am going to put her back on it and see how she does. We are now settled in our new place, won't be moving for at least a year or adding any other pets, so she shouldn't have anything to "upset" her.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:35 AM

what about ringworm? Cats are notorious carriers..whenever someone posts about bald spots, ringworm comes to mind immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page